Transporting Crabs

Questions about crabsitting and transporting hermit crabs.
Yeiona
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Transporting Crabs

Post by Yeiona »

I'm considering adding another crab, but the nearest pet store is about an hour away. Right now I am planning to take one of my ISOs (2.5 gallon) with me and move him into it after I am in the car. I also own a small Kritter Keeper if that would be a better option. Does anyone have advice on making the journey less stressful? Thanks in advance.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Transporting Crabs

Post by ladybug15057 »

Gotta play mate cooler? I will warn you, you will get looks when you walk into the pet store with it!

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... ld+weather
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Hermitcrablove12
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 4

Post by Hermitcrablove12 »

I purchased a crab yeterday with red eyes and I brought him home in a small box and he is doing great. It wasn't much of a problem.
Yeiona
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Post by Yeiona »

Thanks for the link ladybug! I decided to go with the cooler idea. Hehe, That should be interesting... ;) But what can you do? We can't have the hermies freezing!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

You're welcome Yeiona! Happy it was of some help! Goodness knows our little friends have been through enough undue stress without us adding more unneeded stress on them if we can help it. Please keep us posted how it goes!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by ZuZu »

before hearing this I would have gave anybody a funny look if they walk out of a store with crabs in a cooler but now I can tell I won't be the one giving funny looks anymore, nope, it is gonna be the other people at the store giving me funny looks XD . Not that I will mind I get funny looks as it is from my friends, ranting about pet store and babbling about crabs :P .Great idea though! :D

I was also wondering for a multi-hour cold trip, we are moving soon and we are driving down to where we are moving. We are staying one night in a hotel and going to be driving for about twelve hours. any advice about hotel rooms or LOOOONNNGGG drives? I am not leaving for about two weeks so I have plenty of time to get supplies and make plans. Would the cooler trick work for the amount of time we will spend driving? Any advice-comments appreciated!
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Just so happens an Emergency team member (use to be originally called HermiesHelper... from the sister sites flag ship) made a trip from New Mexico to Ohio. I replied to a post as well as a couple other crabbers, but I wrote to hermihoot who had actually made the trip successfully. I see in your info you have a 10 gal tank? This may work for you and your move:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... vel+by+car
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by ZuZu »

yes, I currently have a ten gal. tank but am gonna get a twenty-nine gal. by that time. I will probably put then in the ten gal in a suitable set up for travel, my main problem will be keeping them warm, but I can place them near the heater and mist the tank often for heat and humidity, and for the hotel... well it will be easier considering that it will have electricity and allows pets!

P.S. oops, forgot to thank you *| ! thanks! :D
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Would you happen to have a hot water bottle? Maybe a thermos you can put hot water in, then in a water bottle or something to keep a section warm for them?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Also consider using those hand warmers that are pretty cheap and will stay quite warm for hours! I have about 12 of them handy for when the power goes out here at home. I break them open and slip them under the crab's tank (it's elevated because of the UTH) and cover the tank with a heavy blanket. I also add 2 liter bottles and milk jugs of hot water to help add heat as well. It works for quite a few hours.

I wouldn't put them in the tank though, they have iron in them and I'm not sure how the vapors might affect the crabs. Better safe than sorry.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.