Going to ohio!

Questions about crabsitting and transporting hermit crabs.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Going to ohio!

Post by rmbrmb »

What to do! Im going to ohio for vacation! I can't bring a glass fish tank with me! Should I just take a large kritter keeper? I dont have anyone to care for them ( unless I want them left for doom at someone I knows house) I have no idea of what will be best. I only have 2 crabs mabe 3 soon :D Well what do you think I should do? -.-
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Going to ohio!

Post by CrabbyJo »

How long will you be gone? You can leave them for up to two weeks with the proper set up. If you take them with, then how will you transport them? Where will you keep them? They can't stay in a kritter keeper for any real length of time. They are ok for short trips, but not for days at a time.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by rmbrmb »

Mabey a week and a couple days. I have no clue on what to do......... I'll keep it in my grampa's office. It stays a good tempeture and good humitity. I wish I had better options................
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

What is the temperature where they are now, and what is the humidity?

If you can pick up some small watering dishes like this: http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Waterer-Cats ... B0002DK6HM then you don't need to worry about their water while you're gone.

I'm sorry, I can't find a link for the reptile version of these things, I believe Ladybug has a link to smaller ones?

I left my crabs alone for TWO weeks with these waterers, dry food mixes, and knowledge that their tank humidity and temperature was stable. I was fortunate enough to have someone there to keep an eye on those readings, but apparently they never were an issue the whole time.
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

CrabbyJo, when you went away did you have your thermostat yet to help regulate the temp of the substrate? This too has quite a bit to do with if one leaves the hermies alone. I have not let ours alone for more than a few days without somebody checking in on them.
A picture of the reptile reservoir is:
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-R ... B0002AQE6W
They can be bought at almost any pet store. (PetSmart, Petco, Pet Supplies plus, etc.) They do come with a smaller bottle, but the base is the same size. If the side is smooth to the base (like in the picture and I have a couple of these ones) I put Velcro on both sides and the front so the little ones could get a grip and get to the water.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Very good point, Marie. I did have a thermostat on the heating pad, and did have people checking gauges regularly. Even though there was no fluctuation and the pet sitter had to do nothing with the crab tank (only the cats and dogs), it helped my peace of mind to know that if something did go wrong, someone was there to do something about it.

If you are leaving for a week or more, I would make sure your conditions stay pretty stable, but also have someone check in on them every couple of days just to make sure everything is going ok. And give some instructions in case things are not as they should be when they check on them.