Moss pits?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
Juan576
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3

Moss pits?

Post by Juan576 »

I have a question. Where or how can you make moss pits? do they sell them at lowe's or home depot? What about sphagnum moss? Do they need any care? :S Thank You
"Be nice to nerds because someday, they are going to be your boss."
-Bill Gates

Why do we kill people to show people that killing people is wrong?

Those who don't know history, are dommed to repeat it!

You don't have to be genius to be a genius.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Moss pits?

Post by ladybug15057 »

I would suggest against the Sphagnum moss.

Sphagnum_moss

No, moss should not be bought at Lowe's or Home DePot due to pesticides/insecticides.
Try Micheals and buy the Hiawatha Moss.

Moss needs to be used damp. To make a pit, almost anything plastic can be used. Some use shower caddies, rubbermaid type containers, bowls, etc.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Juan576
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Juan576 »

So.. I have to get a plastic container, put soil in, and plant the moss in there? I thought you just put it in the sand and it will grow there. :S
-Bill Gates

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Moss is bought as moss. One should not use moss from outside unless they are 100% sure of which moss species they have. The Hiawatha Moss is already in a bag and for sale at Micheal's. It does not require any soil or sand... just dampened (not soaked) moss in the container.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Juan576
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by Juan576 »

ok. Thanks a lot! ;)
-Bill Gates

erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Hermit crabs love digging and sleeping in the moss. They can also eat it and it really helps humidify the tank. They can molt in it and also moisten their gills in it. They love this stuff.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Chermo »

I have a question about this moss stuff. I have a dish in my tank that is basically just keeping my wood out of the sand so it doesn't mold again, I am wondering does this stuff also make the wood mold? I would like to add something to the dish so it doesn't look like a dish holding the wood out of the damp sand.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Moss needs to be used damp, so there is the possibility of the wood end molding. Have you considered some hard plastic vines/leaves to go along the inside and outside bottom of your plastic container?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Chermo »

I actually figured out what to use. I took the dish and rinsed it out with all the sand that they put in it. I then soaked those big round glass rocks that you can buy for adding to vases and stuff in salt water overnight then added them to the dish and put the wood on top of the glass rocks. It actually looks great. I had some of those left over after adding them to my daughters fish tank. They are glass so they won't harm the hermies and they look nice in it. I have clear ones with just a splash of color inside them.

These are what I used....
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1155/964 ... 0e.jpg?v=0
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Aren't they great? I use those under my sand over the UTH to prevent the hermies from burrowing down to the glass where it is mounted. (for if they do start to dig) They wash great, easy to separate from the sand for deep cleaning, boil nicely and dry fast too.
I use the blue colored ones, but do not buy them in the aquarium part of the store, they cost more $$$ there. I go to the craft area of WalMart and they sell the same thing, different name and for much less.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)