Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Reptile moss as a substrate?

Post by MegCasey »

Hi everyone!

Recently I purchased my first two hermit crabs from PetSmart. Though I was planning on using sand as a substrate for my tank, the employee at the store I was talking to recommended Reptile Moss, which came in blocks. However, I haven't really read much information online that suggests this is a good material for substrate.

I've been using the moss since I bought my crabs, but I'm really unsure if this is good for them or not. I plan to try Coconut Fiber next time I replenish my supplies (which was being sold right next to the moss, d'oh!), but wanted to know if I can continue using the moss until then.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Reptile moss as a substrate?

Post by emmac350 »

Does the package say what type of moss it is? I found one place that says it's sphagnum moss, in which case it can work in a pinch in your tank (a lot of us use moss like sphagnum (not sphagnum peat moss) or hiawatha to make moss pits to help with humidity and a lot of our crabs spend lots of time in the pits). Keep it damp, though, and replace it with a coconut fiber that says that it's only made of coconut fiber (i.e. no cypress, no calci-sand, etc.).
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

When asking about a substrate (or any items) please do provide a name brand. There are many "Reptile mosses" and not all are hermie safe.
A search for "Reptile Moss" brought up: Moss With this showing 12: Reptile Moss
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
MegCasey
Zygote
Zygote

Post by MegCasey »

I purchased the Exo Terra Forest Moss. Again, I'll be replacing this with coconut fiber when I get the chance, but if the moss I'm using is at all harmful to my hermies I'll be making the switch sooner than later.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I'd go with the 'sooner' rather than later. I can't find a single link that says what kind of moss it is (saying it's a "natural forest moss" doesn't mean crud). Without knowing that, there's a chance it could be one of several unsafe mosses (air mosses like Spanish moss leach calcium from anything touching it, some mosses grow on unsafe trees that can kill crabs, some are too acidic and can dissolve crabs' exos) and I'd get it out of there ASAP.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Too often Exo-Terra tends to just say that their products are "natural", but you must keep in mind that "natural" does NOT indicate that it is "safe". The moss may not be treated with anything, but its natural acidic or basic properties can be harmful.
Wai
MegCasey
Zygote
Zygote

Post by MegCasey »

Thanks for the information, I'll get rid of it as soon as I can. Is the Zoo Med Eco Earth brand a good choice for coconut fiber?
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Yep! Expand it with ocean water (same as you use for your crabs' ocean water bowl, Oceanic/Instant Ocean/etc.) as it can mold (I've had a few problems with that happening personally, but it usually doesn't happen unless there is absolutely no airflow into the container.

Mommy to:

MegCasey
Zygote
Zygote

Post by MegCasey »

Just ordered some online, hopefully should get here soon! Also, I have a mesh cover for my tank which I cover with a moist towel and plastic. I do leave a small area open for a bit of airflow so I hope mold doesn't become a problem! Once again, thanks to everyone for their advice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

You may want to test a little too when expanding the Eco Earth. A little can REALLY expand into quite a bit.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.