Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Huya escaped! D:

Post by Wai »

Today seemed no less ordinary than any other. I looked in the tank and saw Huya scuttling inside. I picked him up for a while then put him back down on a moss pit. Then I decided to scoop up the poop I found on the sand. I sifted through the sand with my hand too until I hit something soft - Juno's dead body. I was horrified - he looked as though he had been dead for quite a long time and his body wasn't even intact. I then realised that the lower layers of sand were soaking wet and puddles of water were forming. I was concerned that there may be others trapped in the sand, so I took everything out of the tank and put the hermit crabs I could find into a separate container that they could not climb out of. Despite holding Huya not long ago, I could not find him! I thoroughly dug through the sand and checked the ornaments I had taken out, but Huya was no-where to be found. I continued checking through the lounge room (where the tank is) for several hours, but with no luck. Now it's 1 am, I've decided to lure him out. I guess Huya may have been latched onto one of the climbing toys when I took it out and then he proceeded to let go and dash off elsewhere in the lounge room afterwards.

I set up a container with raw fish and a Night Glo bulb shining into it. A ladder from the floor to the mouth of the container acts as a path for Huya to climb into the container, but he will not be able to climb out once he falls into the container. I've got a fan that blows at the container (since I read from one of Dae's CSJ posts that hermit crabs consistently travel in the direction of the wind in the lab). I've also got fresh and salt water in the container. Is there anything else I can do besides putting some aluminium foil or something that makes sound in cracks where he may possibly be hiding? I hope to find him soon! :(
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Re: Huya escaped! D:

Post by Gizaroo »

Oh no :( good luck! Hope you find him soon!
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

It was as though he just disappeared into thin air. I was panicking when I couldn't find him anywhere in the tank. I hope he finds his way to the container over night. This is one of the worst days in my life. :(
Wai
Hermitcrazy
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Hermitcrazy »

I really hope you can find Huya.
Maybe you could try putting out some water, that might help attract him.

---Hermitcrazy---
Owner of Coenobita clypeatus, Coenobita compressus, Coenobita violascens, Coenobita rugosus, Coenobita violascens, Coenobita purpureus, & Coenobita brevimanus

Hermit Crab Shell Selection
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai I am sorry to hear Juno has passed. :(
Regular ole newspaper maybe a little less expensive to put on the floor to hear it if he scoots over it. May I suggest to also remove the light? (even though it is a night glow bulb?) As for the breeze, it is a slight natural breeze that they may go for, but it is ocean water that the breeze goes across that may entice them to go that direction. How strong is the fish odor? While you're awake, can you just put the food and water directly on the floor and sit quietly as opposed to the 'trap'? Maybe use the trap when you go to bed and not able to sit and listen?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Juno may have "drowned" in the sand. I have replaced the light with a UTH.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sometimes I do need reminded that our seasons are opposite as I sit here typing with the central air conditioner on. But my thoughts would be that if he is out of the tank it is an unfamiliar territory to him and he may not go towards light, but go the opposite direction?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I FOUND HUYA!!! XD I will be much more careful from now on. Thanks everyone!
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Post by Gizaroo »

YAY!!!
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

As per Marie's advice, I was going to mix a big batch of salt water to lure him out (I only had a small dish of salt water in the container at the time), so I grabbed the water bottle and there he was. I'm so happy he didn't have to stay in the cold over night.
Wai