Lost the leg. What do we do?

Questions about unexpected problems.
pattycake101
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 1

Lost the leg. What do we do?

Post by pattycake101 »

Me and my friend had a hermie play date today and when she went back to her house she called me a told me that her hermie had lost its leg and that she wanted me to help her out. I told her not to pick up the crab unless she absolutely needed to pick it up and we covered the tank with a blanket, but left a part on the top where air could come in. Is there any thing else that we need to do?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Lost the leg. What do we do?

Post by Wai »

Does her crabitat have sufficient heat and humidity? Remind her to feed the hermit crab plenty of protein and calcium rich foods. Has she been feeding her hermit crab any meat?
Wai
pattycake101
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by pattycake101 »

She can't aford a heater right now, she didn't know that the hermit crabs needed so much extra stuf when she bought them. She only will give them store bought hermie food but I gaver her some raisens but I don't know if she feed them that yet. It had been shook around a LOT befor this happened so I think its from that. What kind of meat are you talking about? Do I need to give her some of my carrots?
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

They can eat pretty much what we can eat less the spices. I always cut a small piece of meat from whatever and cook it seperately. I save what is left over from what I give them and give it to them for around 1 week then I throw it out. Make sure she feeds him healthy fresh foods and maybe some honey drizzled on the top. That poor thing needs as much protein and calcium as it can get. Once it goes down to molt it should grow back. Give her whatever you have that is left. Does she maybe have a heating pad she can put over the lid or something to put some heat in the tank? I am sure others will add to what I say or even give better advice but this is what I have for you from what I have read on what to do from others on this board. I am sure I am forgetting stuff too.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
pattycake101
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by pattycake101 »

There are two sad things I have to say,
1. Her hermit crab died today, she said that it had staid in one spot all night so I went to pick it up and then she poked it and it fell out of its shell.
2. My hermie lost its leg today. We got them at the same place so could this be something that went around in there old tank at the pet shop? Or is it because my other hermie has been down molting for a week now so he is lonly?
pattycake101
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by pattycake101 »

OH NO!!! My hermit crab has lost his big pincher now. I know he can grow it back but that is his second thing he has lost. Is he dieing?
wizkidsmom
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 75

Post by wizkidsmom »

They lose legs and pinches due to stress, especially if you just got him. Keep in mind how they got to you --- captured from the comfort of his home, shipped in some crate with no water or good sand. Possibly forced out of his shell and then pushed into a painted one, shipped in a yucky crate, then placed in a store cubicle with gravel, no salt water, no extra shells, no humidity, and yucky food.

Now suddenly he is in a tank with nice substrate, good smelling food.... al these changes :(

His big pincher will start to grow back in his molt.
What is the humidity level in your tank?
WizkidsMom (Cheryl)
5 PPs
pattycake101
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by pattycake101 »

he lost another leg. I think he may be dead. I am going to wait and see if he eats any of his food to night and if he dosn't move in the next 24 hours i am going to pick him up and see if he is alive. That is okay, right?
wizkidsmom
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 75

Post by wizkidsmom »

Yes, it is okay to pick them up when something like this happens. :'(
WizkidsMom (Cheryl)
5 PPs
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Post by HermieLove19 »

you can feed him with a paint brush if he can't eat on his own. You can dip it in some honey and put some cuttlebone powder on it so he gets calcium. give him lots of mushed up foods.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn