aries
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 3

Missing 2 legs and BP Questions

Post by aries »

Hi, just ran into this site last night. It's very nice and easy to get around.

I have a jumbo that I picked up for free from a store because he only had two legs and his BP. I have now had hime for 3 weeks I think it is and he is still alive and that makes me very happy. He is a PP and I would like to know if I should put salt water in with him and if he should be on a special diet from the others? I put 2 of the medium sized guys in with him for company because he seemed to not move much. After I put them in he moves around once in a while. The hardest thing is to not pick him up to check and make sure he is doing ok. I have another one missing legs that someone is giving me next Tuesday and I want to put them together. Is that OK?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Yes, you must have salt water in there. Regardless of whatever species of crabs you have, they must have access to both salt and fresh water.

No, leave the jumbo by himself. He needs some quiet time to recover. Adding more crabs may stress him out. About adding the extra crab, I'd recommend you get another tank and put him in there or divide the tank in which your jumbo is in into two.
Wai
aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

Thank you Wai, that helped a lot. I will do that.
ayianna
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ayianna »

As for diet, you'll want to make sure your crab gets plenty of nutrition and protein for him/her to store up stuff for a good molt. When the legs grow back, they'll be smaller than they would otherwise be, but they will be fully functional. As suggested above, keep it as low-stress as possible to limit the possibility of lethargy and/or further dropping of limbs. Good luck!!! ^_^
aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

What do you suggest for protein? Lost on this one. I really hope this guy makes it, he is so friendly. When I have to move him to clean around he pops right out like he's saying hi. Love this guy so much.