Jedi_Sena
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 1

exercise for ill crab

Post by Jedi_Sena »

I had a very sick crab who eventually died of a bacterial infection, and I was trying different foods and giving honey, and bathing in strong saltwater and the thing that made the most difference was letting him out on the carpet to roam and explore. That seemed to perk him up more than anything. It wasn't a total success because he did not recover, but I think of all the things I tried, that got the best results. Just a thought.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

were there signs of a bacterial infection? how did you know what caused the illness? so little is known about hermit crabs and even littler about what kills them. i've always wondered about these things, so i know what to watch out for.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
Jedi_Sena
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 55

bacterial infection

Post by Jedi_Sena »

Oh, yes, there are noticable signs. He came up from a molt looking pale and crusty and sand was embedded in his new exo, so there may have been something else going on to disturb the molt or something. Anyway I freaked out and got some moderators on another site to look at it and they diagnosed it as a bacterial infection, not shell rot as I suspected. Shortly after the molt his last segment on a leg turned gray, then darkened to black. You can see it here:
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7176 ... ot3cb5.jpg
He began to have more spots and this is what he looked like right before (or as) he died: warning this is gross:
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1475 ... ed3pp7.jpg
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 46

Post by iluvhermies »

AWwwwwwwwwww poor crabbie. I am sry for your lose
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Eddie*Maddie*London*Irwin*Miley*Oliver*Marianna*Dalton*
Chevin*Peeping Tom*April*Hannah*Peanut*Brandon*Brandi*
Autumn*Peyton*Zac*Corbin*Lilly*Rico*Queenie*Princess*Prince
Bruce*Cheese*Sharpay*Elmo*Chris
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

aww! but thank you for sharing your info. :D
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

yeah, i've always wondered about infections that hermies get and if there are any signs. lemi has been pale but he's always been that way. he's still active as ever. he's one of my escape artists lol. but i will definately watch for other signs like you suggested. i didn't look at the pics bc i just ate. no offense. lol. i'm sorry that we have to learn about these things the hard way. more research should be done on hermies so we know how to prevent or cure these problems.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 46

Post by iluvhermies »

Cavipes can be blue grey in color.
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Eddie*Maddie*London*Irwin*Miley*Oliver*Marianna*Dalton*
Chevin*Peeping Tom*April*Hannah*Peanut*Brandon*Brandi*
Autumn*Peyton*Zac*Corbin*Lilly*Rico*Queenie*Princess*Prince
Bruce*Cheese*Sharpay*Elmo*Chris
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29

Re: exercise for ill crab

Post by bobo »

ok i should have taken your warming abut the picsm, i will never look at my crabs the same! lolo, sorry for your loss:(
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
Mr.Crab
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Mr.Crab »

I am so sorry :( I hate moulting. There are always things that could go wrong. I wish there skin was like ours.
!!! pictures of my medium pp (take a look and plz comment)
http://hermitcrabparadise.com/forums/vi ... 911#p17911

[[NO PAINTED SHELLS, PAINTED SHELLS ARE TOXIC!!]]
[[PLEASE, ONLY BUY NATURAL SHELLS, WITH NO FINISHES OR SHINES. OR CLEAR COATS!!]]
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

That's terrible. :( Poor thing. It looks like a bacterial or fungal infection to me. Would it have helped if you removed (I know this sounds gruesome) that part of the leg? Of course, that is assuming that the nasties haven't spread to other parts of the hermit crab.
Wai