bathing

Questions about food and water.
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

bathing

Post by bennynlewie »

how do u properly bathe a hermit crab? i have little ones and im not sure how deep the water should be. I heard that u should put water in their shell and dump it out ....so how do you actually bathe them?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I don't hand bathe my crabs anymore, since they seem to absolutely hate it. I leave a pond in there for them to bathe themselves. Make sure the water is dechlorinated, and don't make the water level too deep. I keep many rocks and stones in there for them to climb on, are something to grab onto if they slip. I used salt water (aquarium salt, not table salt) for the pond, with a drop of StressCoat.
Wai
ayianna
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ayianna »

My crabs really like to be bathed. Weird huh? They'll crawl into the dish if I offer them the dish and my arm to climb up, so they must not mind. If you wish to do this, you'll turn them over so that water goes into their shells, pick them up, swish to get out poo and sand (usually it won't be a big deal unless they've dug alot that time around) and drain. Then set out to dry. Heh! Pretty simple!
bennynlewie
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by bennynlewie »

k maybe ill try the pond thing i havent tried them letting the bathe themselves thanks
happibunni42
Zygote
Zygote

Ya

Post by happibunni42 »

Bathing causes stress. Letting them bathe themselves does not cause additinal stress.
-{4 Hermit Crabs)-
[Nemo][Girl]July 04]
[Kero][Girl][July 04]
[Stone][Boy][June

05]
[Cleo][Unknown][October 05]
-{All in a 20 gallon tank being properly cared for]}
-{I am iluvmicrabs on the HCA]-