lysertheslicer
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

meat

Post by lysertheslicer »

I am new to having hermit crabs. I have 4, 3 quarter sized ones and one the size of a golf ball. I'm worried they won't get the proper nutrients or foods they need to survive and was wondering if anyone could help by giving me a list of meats they eat and how I should prepare them. Anything helps, thanks :D
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Re: meat

Post by FreeCrabby »

You should get more educated responses from others as I am only new to owning hermie crabs but most meat is okay for them as long as it hasnt been treated with salt and or spices etc - so fresh meats. Have heard you can serve cooked or uncooked but that may need to be confirmed so dont take my word for it 100%

Mealworm is good for them, sardiens in fresh spring water, mince, shrimp, chicken, fresh fish.

Fruit and Veggies are good for them to - Corn and Carrots especially as they are full of carotene which is good for them.

They seem to like (natural only) honey and unsalted and or organic popcorn.

Cuttlebone is needed for calcium and or crushed egg shells.

Got this from somewhere on here maybe? or the net somewhere!...

"dried baby shrimp, dried bloodworms, dried mealworms, etc."

"sea veggies are the next thing to work on. At the pet store you should be able to find sheets of green seaweed (or purple seaweed) for fish, along with some jars of pieces of seaweed. If you can find it at a health food store, spirulina algae is a great one for crabs. It's sold because it's so great nutritionally."
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by FreeCrabby »

this is a good thread viewtopic.php?f=17&t=114
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

You can also buy food mixes from the Hermit Crab Addiction store. Mixes such as organic muesli are a great way to start things off so your hermit crabs can eat whatever they feel malnutritioned in. I don't know if hermit crabs know exactly how they nutrional values are going, but they do seem to know that eating certain foods make them feel better. For example, mine always munch on the cuttlebone for the calcium after surfacing from a moult.
Wai