trixie554
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 5
Total tanks: 1

mold from food

Post by trixie554 »

I have a problem....MOLD. a day or two after I put new food in, the food is all around the food bowl and in the ecoearth, creating mold. gross! anybody know how to help eliminate that?
"live in the moment and you'll never go out of style."
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: mold from food

Post by Wai »

Move the food back into the food bowl and soak the chunks of bedding with mould in hot salt water. You don't need to wash the whole bedding. Make sure you don't accidentally put your hermit crabs in hot water too.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: mold from food

Post by CrabbyJo »

check your humidity and temp. If your humidity is very high it will encourage quick mold growth. As long as it's between 70 and 80% you should be fine.
Make sure you calibrate your hygrometer if it hasn't been calibrated in a month or two.
I agree with Wai on cleaning the bedding - unless it's inexpensive and you don't mind tossing it.

You might also consider putting the food dish on a hard surface that is easier to clean,
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.