babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

If you don't mind

Post by babesbarn »

Please take a look at any of the listings on nutrition for the hermies because you can feed them regular food like egg shells and veggies and even cleaned oak leaves. They love stuff that falls on the beach. They are not full of fake hermie food when they find them to sell. Most of the hermies at whatever they found on the beach left over by surfers or picnic'rs. I know there is a great list on this forum that gave me a head start and naturally I was lazy at first but found my laziness in reading ended up costing me money as I was doing the most harmful but stopped at once! My hermies are giving me lots of enjoyment and yeah, lots of stuff at the store looks ok and even says so but this forum has lots of experienced Hermie Momma's and Daddies and you would be in good shape to just start with one section, read and then try it. The Hermies pay you back with Chirps and come out more and finish up their feast and drink their water. They really really love Ocean MARINE Sea Salt Water. That is in a box and will last you a long long time! You just mix it with some distilled water (start with a half gallon) and then put some in a little water bottle and give fresh in one dish and offer another dish with distilled STRAIGHT water. They LOVE IT BOTH. I hope you don't mind I came in here to look but I am still learning too and growing day by day. When I tell someone I have hermit crabs they look at me like ^) But i dont care..lols
Hermitcrablove12
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 4

Re: Am I feeding proper food to my crabs?

Post by Hermitcrablove12 »

Is it a good idea to offer a small bowl of natural seasalt to the crabs? Will this harm them? (?)
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2

Post by babesbarn »

Hermitcrablove12 wrote:Is it a good idea to offer a small bowl of natural seasalt to the crabs? Will this harm them? (?)
Gee, I don't know that much about that. Maybe someone else can pop in and answer that question. I know that on the section Nutrition there is one spot that says Food that Hermies go Chirp for. I spend alot of time looking at that. I know there is a BANNED Food spot on this forum too as a heads up from experienced Hermie lovers who researched some brand and non brand food items. Check that out when you can. As for me, I just give them Ocean Marine Sea Salt Water and Distilled. So far they seem happy with that and even some crushed cuttlebone now and then.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

As in a bowl of ocean/sea mix in a pile alone not mixed with water or anything? No, I would recommend not to do this. One can occasionally sprinkle or mix very little on their food, or even VERY lightly sprinkle some on their pop corn.
You do not want to take the chance by offering just ocean/sea mix that any would come in contact with the hermies sensitive gills. This could cause blisters or damage to the gills.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10

Am I feeding my crabs a complete diet?

Post by llmercll »

Hello!

I'm currently alternating between petstore food (the good brand, i believe), and 2 varities from the addiction store.

http://www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com ... ab_Cuisine

http://www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com ... lting_Food

I'm wondering if they are getting adequate nutrition, especially protein, by using these three foods. I recently bought 2 very small crabs and know they will be moulting, so want to do everything I can to avoid cannablism.

thanks!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

What are the pet store foods?
As much as the 2 links you provided may have some nutritional food ingredients within them, hermies are known not to eat the same food for a week or longer. The foods also appear to be dry and hermies do benefit from the natural oils and juices found in fresh foods. I would suggest some fresh foods.

Edited to add:
Almost a year ago, you had done a post called:
"Want to buy some nutritional foods"
There were a few good replies:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3361&p=30661#p30661
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Post by D'sCrabs »

http://www.epicurean-hermit.com/
http://www.hermitcrabcuisine.com/

I found these site helpful.. I am new to crabs to and have had to learn on a crazy curve...
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Purple pinchers »

I almost buy no food just for my crabs. Because my family eats a lot of salads and all organic so I pearty much just take a some for the crabs. So next time ask your parents that you want some organic food and say you will eat it ;). Then just cut a small piece off and eat the rest.
*Pack Rat*
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 10

Post by llmercll »

the addiction store has some good epicurean mixes my crabs love. I've also got some dried protein sources and occasionally give them some fresh chicken or fish.