crab_apples_1984
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

electrolytes????

Post by crab_apples_1984 »

can i add electrolytes to their drinking water?? i ve gave it to reptiles before and its improved health and gave an increased amount of energy and appetite so im wondering if it will have the same effect on my crabs and if their is a brand just for LHC or the reptile one will be suitable ( an ingredient list will follow). i also just found out i have bought the wrong salt it is fresh water salt for healing fish and im pretty sure i cant use it. The last question is will the proper salt add the nessecary electrolytes?

exo terra electrolyte ingredients:magnesium, potassium, sodium, and calcium and vitamin D3

now that i ve wrote this and read many posts the exo terra supplement is probably not a good idea due to the magnesium
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: electrolytes????

Post by Wai »

You shouldn't need to add extra electrolytes to water. Your salt water pond will provide the trace elements your hermit crabs need. Just get some proper sea salt such as Instant Ocean and you should be fine.
Wai
crab_apples_1984
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10

Post by crab_apples_1984 »

thank you for the info i have used some sea salt i had in the kitchen for now
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If it is human grade sea salt please remove it ASAP and get an ocean/sea mix specifically for salt water fish tanks.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Sometimes the human grade sea salts contain extra ingredients such as anticaking agents, which may be harmful to hermit crabs.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Also, you cannot know how to mix the table sea salt to the correct proportion. Your crabs need not a sea salt but a Marine aquarium salt.

There are several brands out there, your pet store will have a couple to choose from. As long as it is for marine tanks, it will work. Mix according to package directions. You can mix a 1/2 gallon at a time if you wish.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.