CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Crawfish???? Safe to eat???

Post by CrabbyJo »

They are all the same animal, known as Crawfish, Crayfish, or Crawdads. All common names used in different areas.
In Virginia we called them Crawdads.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Post by D'sCrabs »

Crayfish, Crawfish, crawdaddies. people here call them alot on things.. Best descip. I can give is they look like a lobster but only about 3 inches long.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Dunno, here I have never seen them for sale? But they can be found in streams and little brooks quite often, we use to catch them as kids. Due to how there are some things different in Aus. compared to the U.S. is why IMO Wai would be the better one to answer this.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Post by Gizaroo »

Crayfish, Crawdads, Crawfish...here in Va they're called a little of everything. My siblings and I used to catch them all the time when we were younger!
Here's a pic of what they look like around here...usually are around 3-4 inches full grown, though some of my friends have found some 6 inches plus!
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

As long as it's a crustacean it should be safe to eat... I guess?
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai, could you please clarify if it is the same in Aus.?
An example here I guess I was relating to was a rollie polly, the look a LOT different than those here in the U.S. (an Aus. member of Hermies shared a link) Same as a red bell pepper (in U.S.) is actually called something else in Aus.
As long as the stream/creek was not polluted I do think they would be safe to feed after at least steaming them to kill any possible shell disease. To keep them as pets, not sure what chemicals are used and whether they would be safe or not for feeding?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I think they would be the same, altough here they're more commonly called crayfish. I doubt it's something completely different to a crustacean.
Wai
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100

Post by Jadexox »

they sound like yabbies to me but were i live crawfish are over 1 ft and yabbies are around 10 or so cm

i hate it how they have different names X(

CONFUSING ME im also gona catch some tomorrow if no rain
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Post by D'sCrabs »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

Crayfish, crawfish, or crawdads – members of the superfamilies Astacoidea and Parastacoidea – are freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters, to which they are related. They breathe through feather-like gills and are found in bodies of water that do not freeze to the bottom; they are also mostly found in brooks and streams where there is fresh water running, and which have shelter against predators. Most crayfish cannot tolerate polluted water, although some species such as the invasive Procambarus clarkii are more hardy. Crayfish feed on living and dead animals and plants.[1]

In Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, the term crayfish or cray generally refers to a saltwater spiny lobster, of the genus Jasus that is indigenous to much of southern Oceania,[2] while the freshwater species are usually called yabby or koura, from the indigenous Australian and Māori names for the animal respectively. An exception is the Murray crayfish found on the Murray River.

Thought this was something to be concerned about.
Crayfish plagueMain article: Crayfish plague
Some crayfish suffer from a disease called crayfish plague. This is caused by the water mould Aphanomyces astaci. Species of the genus Astacus are particularly susceptible to infection, allowing the more resistant signal crayfish to invade parts of Europe. Crayfish plague is not indigenous to Europe, rather it was brought there when North American species of crayfish were introduced.[12]

more info. all from wiki:
Main article: Decapod anatomy
The body of a decapod crustacean, such as a crab, lobster, or prawn, is made up of twenty body segments grouped into two main body parts, the cephalothorax and the abdomen. Each segment may possess one pair of appendages, although in various groups these may be reduced or missing. On average, crayfish grow to 17.5 centimetres (6.9 in) in length, but some grow larger.

[edit] Geographical distribution and classification
Austropotamobius pallipes, Astacidae
Procambarus clarkii, Cambaridae
Cherax sp., ParastacidaeThere are three families of crayfish, two in the northern hemisphere and one in the southern hemisphere. The southern-hemisphere (Gondwana-distributed) family Parastacidae lives in South America, Madagascar and Australasia, and is distinguished by the lack of the first pair of pleopods.[6] Of the other two families, members of the Astacidae live in western Eurasia and western North America and members of the family Cambaridae live in eastern Asia and eastern North America.

Australasia has over 100 species in a dozen genera. Many of the better-known Australian crayfish are of the genus Cherax, and include the marron (Cherax tenuimanus), red-claw crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus), yabby (Cherax destructor) and western yabby (Cherax preissii). The world's largest freshwater crayfish, Astacopsis gouldi, which can achieve a mass of up to 5 kilograms (11 lb), is found in the rivers of northern Tasmania.[7]

Madagascar has an endemic genus, Astacoides, containing seven species.[8]

Europe is home to seven species of crayfish in the genera Astacus and Austropotamobius.

Cambaroides is native to Japan and eastern mainland Asia.

[edit] North AmericaThe greatest diversity of crayfish species is found in south-eastern North America, with over 330 species in nine genera, all in the family Cambaridae. A further genus of astacid crayfish is found in the Pacific Northwest and the headwaters of some rivers east of the Continental Divide. Many crayfish are also found in lowland areas where the water is abundant in calcium and oxygen rises from underground springs.[9]

Crayfish were introduced purposely into a few Arizona reservoirs and other bodies of water decades ago, primarily as a food source for sport fish. They have since dispersed beyond those original sites.

NamesThe name
"crayfish" comes from the Old French word escrevisse (Modern French écrevisse) from Old Frankish *krebitja (cf. crab), from the same root as crawl. The word has been modified to "crayfish" by association with "fish" (folk etymology). The largely American variant "crawfish" is similarly derived.

Some kinds of crayfish are known locally as lobsters, crawdads,[4] mudbugs,[4] and yabbies. In the Eastern United States, "crayfish" is more common in the north, while "crawdad" is heard more in central and western regions, and "crawfish" further south, although there are considerable overlaps.[5]

Hope this helps...