autumnfalls
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 50
Total tanks: 2

Crab Constantly in Water?

Post by autumnfalls »

For the past number of days my one crab has been constantly sitting in the fresh water dish. I've never seen him or any other crab do that before. I checked humidity and it is at 70% so I don't think he's dried out. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm worried about him.
Long haired Crab Enthusiast!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Crab Constantly in Water?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Have you calibrated/tested the gauge lately? (If not please do so ASAP)

It could be the humidity is low, can you bump it up to about 75%?
Have you checked the substrate temp? (is ther a cool side of about 71-73*F?
If the above are on check, sounds like you are seeing a pms'ed hermie.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
autumnfalls
Zygote
Zygote

Post by autumnfalls »

Yes, I checked all of the above and they are fine. He's gotten out a couple times but seems to like hanging around there :\ I am a bit worried and keepign an eye on him, but he doesn't appear to be acting slow or odd otherwise.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by rmbrmb »

Is it a newer crab? When I first got my crew they liked to spend a long time in the water dish. If not then mabey he is low on shell water. I don't think it has to do with humdity of the tank though or your other crabs would be showing signs of driness. (yeah I made up that word)
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I don't think it has to do with humdity of the tank though or your other crabs would be showing signs of driness.
Like some humans are able to tolerate higher or lower levels of certain things, hermies are similar in this manner. It could.may take longer for the others to show the same symptoms,

Still sounds like this hermie maybe in premolt. Remember, some hermies can also display no pms's and just up and molt. Keep a cut 2 liter soda bottle or glass of a picture frame handy.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
autumnfalls
Zygote
Zygote

Post by autumnfalls »

I will do. He's been out of the water, ate a bit yesterday and has been hidden ever since. Unfortunately I didn't see where he hid. Maybe it's the season for molting? :P I know pumpkin has been shell shopping a lot.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Remember that shell shopping and molting are not always synonymous. Crabs will shell shop any time (especially Purple Pincers) but for hesitant shoppers, generally they will at least change around molting time.
I agree with Ladybug, it does sound like probably pre-molt. Do you provide a marine salt water for them (not "hermit crab salt water")? Generally I notice my crabs around the salt water dish more often when they are pre-molt. They need to absorb a lot of water to help swell their body to shed their exo, and if they don't have enough salt available to help them retain it (marine salt) then perhaps that might be why they hang in the fresh water dish for long periods.
This is only a theory mind you, so let me know and we can smash my theory or maybe back it up a little! :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
autumnfalls
Zygote
Zygote

Post by autumnfalls »

I do have a marine salt water dish as well, but I haven't seen the little guy near it. He's partially burried today, and hasn't been in the dish since I last posted.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

What is the brand name of the marine salt you are using?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

autumnfalls
Zygote
Zygote

Post by autumnfalls »

It's the exact brand.. which is from Superstore.