D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

home grown question

Post by D'sCrabs »

I have a small herb garden my herbs are flowering I want to give them to my crabs but were I am from spider mite in the yard is a big issue. Can i pick the flowers Freeze them then give to crabs will that kill the mite if there are any. how do you not transfer pest from yard into tank when your homegrowing some of your food.. I mean it has to be organic so I cant use pesticides so what do I do?..... Lost....
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: home grown question

Post by ladybug15057 »

That can be an issue when using home grown or even some organic grown foods. One doesn't actually want to boil them because a lit of nutrients can be lost doing so. But to have a rapid pot of dechlor boiling water and dipping them fairly quickly should kill any mites.
Sadly, if freezing would work to kill majority of insects they would not last from year to year, so freezing is not a sure cure/kill. :(
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Post by D'sCrabs »

ok flash boil can do.
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100
Total tanks: 1

Post by Jadexox »

most people put things like mealworms in the fridge on purpose so they slow down but not die,and other bugs as well but not sure on freezing if it kills....
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!