jrox72
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 2

Real Sea Water?

Post by jrox72 »

Hi all, haven't been on here in a while. Upgraded my tank to 40 gallon breeder, bought 3 new crabs from Petsmart, (2 E's and a PP). I just got back from Cape Cod, and kept some water from the beach. My question is is it safe to use in the saltwater pool? Its pretty clear, but not sure if it's Okay?!
What started as a gift for my daugher, has turned into an obsession for me! (Everyone needs a hobby)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Real Sea Water?

Post by Wai »

You would not know what is dissolved in the water, so it may be safe or not. It is up to you whether you want to give it a try or not.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Considering you are from U.S. and mention Cape Cod I would strongly advise against using it. With all the oil spills as well as recreational vehicles in the water, and recent hurricanes/tropical storms one would not know what is in the ocean water as far as pollutants. (and land hermies are not from Cape Cod area) This as well as the parasites that could be in the water and possibly harmful too.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
AlphaBeta
Zygote
Zygote

Post by AlphaBeta »

Hi, I would like to borrow this topic for a bit. Can I bottle some sea water home and dry it under the sun then collect the salt left after the evaporation? I dont mind flushing it again with dechlor-ed water.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

You can, but it might take a while. Also, the sea water won't be the same after reconstitution.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

And again, if there are contaminants, they may remain behind and not evaporate with the water.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Along with the other 2 replies above, perhaps would you happen to have a hydrometer to test the specific gravity to ensure it was at the proper level?
(one of many below through a search)
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CG4Q8wIwAQ
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.