lachie_k
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

how long does it take for my hermit crabs to eat

Post by lachie_k »

I bought my hermit crabs 2 weeks ago and they don't want to eat i have offered them carrot, pumpkin, lettuce and store bought hermit crab food. They are Australian land hermit crabs, they seem healthy and are moving around climbing etc. They have both fresh and salt water there are 3 of them (medium size) If you could offer any advise that would be great thanks!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: how long does it take for my hermit crabs to eat

Post by Wai »

Throw out the hermit crab food and replace it with some dried, raw or cooked meat. The meat should be free of preservatives or any additives such as salt or seasoning. Cook any shellfish before giving it to the hermit crabs. Meat can be cooked with a small amount of olive oil.

Hermit crabs do not eat a lot as they are not so-called warm-blooded animals; therefore they require less energy or food intake daily to stay alive.
Wai
Tetra8CClyPeatus
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 48
Total tanks: 2

Re: how long does it take for my hermit crabs to eat

Post by Tetra8CClyPeatus »

For fresh and raw foods, put it in for a night and take out first thing in the morning to prevent pests and mold, etc.
This is what I do ;) and it works, but sometimes gets dragged all over the place, so tidy the next day.
Dry foods you can keep in there longer.

It may seem that they are not eating at all, but actually they do.
They eat very little. Depends if they are in pre molt or post molt. Pre molt and post molt, they eat for energy

But they do eat, just do so when your not observing.

Anyway to know is if you flatten substrate around the food area and if you see imprints or food dragged anywhere, you'll know
8 (Ceonobita Clypeatus) Hexxus, Lexxie, Hansel, Gretel, Vigo, Rancid, Nemo and Dalek11+ Successful Molts[/color]
My website:
http://lhccenterprise.freeforums.org/index.php