Interesting food hermies go CHIRP for!!

Questions about food and water.
Andee
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 1

Re: Interesting food hermies go CHIRP for!!

Post by Andee »

I've noticed my newest guy Maverick, loves dried Persimmons got them at Farmer's Market this Saturday ^^
40 gallon with 13 hermit crabs- 11 PPs, 1 E, 1 Straw

My Blog: http://crabbingadventures.wordpress.com
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20

Post by babesbarn »

Unflavored and unsalted natural popcorn. You can just put some in a plastic zip lock and it will keep for weeks. They just love popcorn. Also,go into your backyard and find a dandelion. they really like that too. Important to get it from uncut grass and unfertilized area. Do not take any chances on insecticides. Any fruits remember to wash in distilled water as insecticides are used by farmers. It is a nice idea I find to shave a carrot and use some of the inner part and throw it in their dish. They love that too. Lots of things we could give them that do not cost a dime are in our fridge or yard. If you buy a bag of frozen shrimp in BJ's or Sam's club its about five bucks for a year supply of food for them. One shrimp microwaved on a dish for ten seconds.Let it sit and then put it on a seashell inside. COOLED. They like that and also honey. hummmmm Good luck
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Post by arhoads »

Kong has become obsessed with cuttlebone and Japanese Red Maple leaves. He ate an entire leaf last night!!
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by babesbarn »

Where did you get the japanese red maple leaf? Was if from a tree? Was it a weeping red maple leaf? I know my crabbies love oak leaves. I give it to them dried from the fall. Wonder if they can have it without it being dried.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by arhoads »

I got it from my neighbors tree after being sure that he doesn't spray them. It's Japanese Red Maple not a weeping maple. I gave the first one fresh (after rinsing it just to be sure nothing was on it) and dried the rest.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

I wonder...do you know?

Post by babesbarn »

I guess every Hermit Crab has its' own food plan. I tried out some cucumber today (no seeds) and room temperature. Jumbo sat in the dish and ate to his hearts content. But Spiderman seems to want to eat "so much" of that cork. I wonder if too much cork is good for them. Jumbo and Hercules like it too but not like Spiderman. I went and purchased a huge bag (fifteen dollars worth) of mixed fruits and corn and stuff from the Crabbystore. Much to my disappointment, the little guys are not so interested in their cruisine. Oh yeah they liked some of the foods and supplements but I guess they like home cooked meals like I was preparing. I can even feed Jumbo from my fingers. He gets right on my hand and eats. Spiderman although he is the first Hermit crab I got and two years with me, looks a bit smaller since his molt but the colors on his feet are really turning red now. Hercules headed down two days ago in his new shell and I guess he wants to molt too. But you know, I wonder about that cork and too much and when is it too much/

Anyway, got some nice shells but the fancy ones with the dolphin and palm trees were not as "fun" for them. they seem to like streamline round. Afterall, a fully polished shell feels complete I guess rather than the carved ones. Oh well, live and learn. I also put some fishnet inside the tank and it is enjoyed too.
Thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions about the food, let me know because what some people find as delicious for their hermies (blueberries) my hermies won't touch.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by arhoads »

I found pecan meal at a local store that sells bulk baking stuff. Its just ground up pecans (no salt) my crabs love it. Kong loves shrimp, he cleans the dish up on shrimp day. Crickets are kinda so so with mine. I rotate my meat source each day and they only eat them sparingly. Kong really likes chicken bone marrow (cooked and crushed bone). Lady likes mango and pineapple and moss (I"m not sure what kind of moss it is, it came with them when I purchased them) seasame and flax sees along with millet seeds seem to be a hit as well and raisins. i was also wondering about them eating too much of one thing. Kong is obsessed with cuttlebone ever since he came up from his molt a few weeks ago.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 35

Post by rmbrmb »

Do any of you know your crab's favrote food? I know Thrash LOVES peanut butter, violet lettuse (can't spell XD) Snapper apples, and Splash liked honey.....
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

Yeah boy!

Post by babesbarn »

Yes I know their favorites! Sometimes it varies depending on what is available but mostly, Jumbo really likes to eat cuccumbers. I know that Spiderman's favorite food this week only seems to be "cork" but normally, if you give him some honey or popcorn....YUM. Hercules, eats from my hand, I can give him dandelions and he will munch on that and popcorn like it is going out of style. He knows "exactly" when my hand goes inside the tank, its time to head to the food dish for fresh whatever. Thanks for asking. Told my hubby that it is "fun" to watch each one with its particular likes and dislikes. This way they know that it is worthwhile to hang out at my house. lols #D
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 35

Post by rmbrmb »

I just got 2 new crabs, and I have another I adopted. I am so excited to see what they like! I heard people say "Why should I care about stupid hermit crabs" But, if they only knew! I LOVE seeing what they like and knowing their personality! I'm glad I have ya'll in HCP too talk to. Everyone else would think I'm werid! lol
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!