ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Zeaxanthin

Post by ladybug15057 »

Depends, do you want live meal worms or freeze dried?
Most places who sell reptiles will carry the live.
As for freeze dried, I have found them at WalMart, Petco, and PetSmart as well as some mom and pop pet stores. Some pet stores also have them in the freezer section with their frozen silversides and such..
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I'd like live, as they will have the oils mentioned in Julia Crab's post, and I just prefer fresh anything over freeze dried if I have a choice. I could do freeze dried shrimp, but prefer to buy it, steam it, and grind it up for the little guys. :) Except I think I'll have to get some for vacation food.

I read a recipe that uses live mealworms, baked and dried for the recipe. It's close to the ingredients I plan to use for my little mix too.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

My pet stores have mealworms live. I don't know where to get dried other than the Addiction store for now; I'll have to focus on getting more Zeaxanthin into my crabs' diet. I completely forgot about that site for food info.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

I appreciate this thread being revived, I had no idea about the xeaxanthin and the sources that were better than the veggies and such. I appreciate her stating it in a way that gets your attention to let you know they MUST have this stuff.
perhaps this is a large part of why many hermits die after surviving a couple years, I'm going to guess malnutrition is the larger factor (this was mentioned in another thread today).
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
kgbenson
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by kgbenson »

Researchers and commercial hatchery folks use things like the following:

Red Phaffia Yeast: approximately 1% astaxanthin.
The microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis (you can buy this as Naturose at Brine Shrimp Direct)
Spirulina: Has >1500 ppm careotenoids (the different kinds vary)
Copepods: Some of the arctic species have buckets of carotenoids, the stuff from Brine Shrimp Direct is analyzed as: Proximate Analysis: Protein, 65%; Fat, 9%; Ash, 12%; Chitin, 3%; Salt (NaCl), 9.5%; Astaxanthin, 400 ppm.
Cyclopeez: Lots of Astaxanthin. I mean LOTS: http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/product_info ... e10_T2.jpg

There are a number of products that people who have been rearing shrimp and lobsters use that could be very beneficial to crabbers. OF course some are hard to get in quantities of less than a 55 gallon barrel!

Google is your friend here. Brine shrimp direct is one of those companies that are favored by many folks in public aquaria, as is the Argent company. Be careful though, every guy with some red powder seems to want to be on the Astaxanthine bandwagon.

Keith
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Thank you Keith. It looks as though the cyclop-eeze is easy to obtain at pretty reasonable prices. Looks like something worth adding to my stash of hermit crab foods that I can feel very good about feeding.
kgbenson
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by kgbenson »

You should be able to get it at most decent fish stores.

Keith
hermiesman80
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by hermiesman80 »

Does anyone know where you can get freeze-dried plankton cuz my hermit crab won`t eat without it in his food,He is aparently a picky eater 8| even though hermies aren`t supposed to be picky. :S
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19

Post by Gizaroo »

hermiesman80 wrote:Does anyone know where you can get freeze-dried plankton cuz my hermit crab won`t eat without it in his food,He is aparently a picky eater 8| even though hermies aren`t supposed to be picky. :S
Hermies can be very picky! Lol...so won't eat the same foods for up to 2 weeks at a time (if I remember what I read on here somewhere correctly)! I got freeze dried plankton at one of my petstores- Pet Supplies Plus.
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
hermiesman80
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by hermiesman80 »

Ok thanks :)