StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 32
Total tanks: 2

Desperate heating help needed!!!!!!

Post by StarJohn »

This is kind of a follow on from my previous discussion entitled " thermostat query". I thought I would start a new topic as I am veering off the thermostat part of it a bit now. I am having terrible trouble trying to keep my tank heated to a suitable level. When the weather first started to get cooler in Sydney I got a UTH (7watt) positioned at one end of the tank half above substrate and half below. My theory being it might help to raise both substrate and air temperatures .As the temperature dropped it was not enough and I bought another one (20watt) positioned at right angles to the first one. Sydney has been assaulted by mother nature in the last week with severe storms and cold weather. I have fought a losing battle to keep heat in the tank . I am using thermostats for both UTH which are now set on 30°C . Nevertheless both the substrate and the temperatures are dropping as low as 17 or 18°C at times and never coming much above 20°C ( which I know is potentially fatal for my crabs). I am using Polystyrene and cardboard to try and insolate the heat. Both crabs have dug down and not been seen in all week. humidity levels seem to be good though. I am now considering using a CHE but don't really know where to begin with that . Can I set one directly on the top of the glass or at an angle without cutting a hole in the glass providing it in an area for crabs can't access??? I have a 22 gallon tank - what sort of wattage would I need . I am very worried about my little guys!!!
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Desperate heating help needed!!!!!!

Post by appps »

Just as a temporary fix to give you some time to find a solution, how about of you get yourself a foam fruit box from a grocers and sit it in there (or cut up and tape over glass to help insulate the glass walls so you stop loosing so much heat. A lot of the heat will also be going out the top so some over the lid should help too. Won't be pretty but will buy you some time.

If it's dropping that much during the day it could be dropping up to another 5-10 deg at night. Is 22gal like a 2 foot tank?

Can you take a quick photo of your tank so we can get a visual of size etc?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

As for the CHE I found it worked best when no glass was between it and the tank.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

To be safe (CHEs put out a lot of heat), don't have anything between it and your tank. Your tank is small enough, the smallest CHE you find will probably be plenty for your needs. I honestly don't remember what wattage mine is for my tank, so unfortunately I can't help you there.

I recommend hooking the CHE into your thermostat at least when you're gone so you don't cook the tank too high. And be prepared - when the CHE is on your humidity will tank, but it will go back up when it switches off. Don't panic - your crabs won't die if the humidity is a little low while the CHE is on, and they can always just up their shell water when it is.

Be prepared to see your crabs basking in its warmth, my Rack loves the CHE.

One other thing - put some aluminum foil, shiny side toward the tank, between the tank and the insulating stuff you have around it. It will help to reflect the heat back into the tank so your insulation will absorb less of the warmth.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

Thank you SOOOO much appps and emmac350!! appps my tank is 2ft on the width by 1.5ft on the height by 1ft depth. I am using a combination of the insolation methods you have both suggested and that does seem to be helping a bit . I have also included a picture (pre insulation). I have just ordered a 50watt CHE online with express delivery. Can I use it temporarily through the glass until I am able to get the glass cut??? The good news is I have since seen both crabs above ground and alive ! I just hope they stay safe until I can get this sorted out. Again I can't thank you both enough for your assistance with this! Appps I have had a look at your website and found it very helpful particularly as it deals with Australian land hermit crabs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

I really don't know how effective it's going to be above the glass, it works by warming the air but outside it won't have access to the air if that makes sense?
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Sorry totally off topic I know but did a bit of a double take on the five pointed leafed plants in the back of the tank lol
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

Yes that does make sense appps. I think if I just slide one of my glass plates on the top to one side and cover it with meshing I should be able to put the CHE in through that gap as a temporary measure. And now that you mention it those plants on the back wall do look a little suspect don't they!! Ha ha! I can assure you they are fake :)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

For the first few days with your CHE over the mesh, do please keep an eye on it. My CHE melted a bit of the plastic around the top of my tank when it got bumped into it...they get very hot. So just make sure it isn't melting anything around it!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

Thanks emmac350! I will be careful. :)