Has anyone come up with a solution for UVA and b?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Has anyone come up with a solution for UVA and b?

Post by appps »

There are gaps where cords run into the hood (one escaped and was found exploring the kids bedroom) but I also have two metal CHE covers in my hood that they would have contact with if they got up there. I've burnt my hand on them before so don't want them crawling on them.

The temperature also drops a good two degrees without the glass which is a pain.

I want to get some other glass cut for my spare tank anyway so while I'm at it I think I might just get the lid cut in two for now so I can remove the middle section leaving the part that stops them escaping.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

I'm sorry to say that I am a little confused with what has been said with everyone on this topic, so if doesn't work for you appps, don't worry about it, just a suggestion: I need a new list at one point so I found a junkyard sale place, where they had a whole mesh door selling for $10 (the really Modern, strong woven stuff), I cut the right amount and then went to a glass cutting place where I asked them to get me a specific size (I gave measurements) which was $12 for the whole lid, cut into three pieces so I could control humidity/airflow.

I'm not sure if you have considered a mesh lid, but I honestly like them a lot more than full glass lids. Just make sure that if you get one it is stainless steel/coated to not let it rust. Otherwise if you buy some rust guard and let it set for a few days it should be fine. I understand that you want UVA/B Rays to filter through, I'm not sure about how much would get through mesh (you mentioned it was low with fine mesh - maybe holier mesh?) but I think it would be higher than a glass lid at any rate.

I have found it easier to compare the waves physically to literal microwave mesh. If you look at your microwave, you can usually see the mesh within the door. This is actually in place to filter out microwaves which are physically larger than sun rays (this is based off of the electromagnetic spectrum found here: http://mynasadata.larc.nasa.gov/science ... c-diagram/. Don't worry about the numbers, just compare the waves to their size (the squiggly line) and there approx. object). Meaning that the smaller sun rays would be able to filter through microwave mesh AS AN EXAMPLE. Reptile mesh is usually the same size or larger than this, meaning that technically the UVA/B rays would be able to filter through to some degree.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Thanks Ginger, that's more what i was thinking. How do you keep your mesh in place?

I'm thinking if there is a big mesh rather than fly screen fine mesh and a way to make up a little sort of fly screen panel so there is something solid on that edge where they escape. Hmmm trip to bunnings may be in order :-)
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Well, I've used my ISO in the example above, so I bought glass strips and aquarium siliconed them just below the edge of the tank so the screen was simply sitting on them, I then had a lamp and rock sitting on top to stop them pushing it up. Bunnings would most likely have some stuff, personally I would browse around some more industrial places and ask for off cuts, you'd probably get them for free!
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Hmm. I've been picturing all mesh being soft like fly screen mesh. That actually look quite solid. I wonder if I can track down a thin unbend able mesh as that would be perfect and wouldn't require the frame.

I wonder if there is a plastic coated bird wire or such. Things that make you go hmmmmmm. :-)
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Now that you mention birds, there is a 10mm/1cm aviary mesh (I'm pretty sure your crabs would not be able to get through it) that is quite firm, and yes, my lid is very un-pliable. Think of crimsafe screen doors.
Jerzeecrabz
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 22
Total tanks: 2

Post by Jerzeecrabz »

Sooo it’s 2019, any luck in figuring out pros and cons to these lights? I thought it would be beneficial as I’ve seen recent things online suggesting it’s not harmful but would love to hear from ppl that have actually used them?