charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 17
Total tanks: 1

Tank Heater Q

Post by charcoal44 »

I bought a Exo Terra Heatwave Rainforest heater for my tank, it's a medium 26.5 x 28 cms.
After reviewing the forums I decided not to mount it under the tank, but on the side (instructions say it's suitable for side mounting) but it's not that warm to the touch, I have a 17 gallon tank.

What temperature should these be at?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Tank Heater Q

Post by aussieJJDude »

UTH will only heat up a tank above the surrounding room temperature, by a set amount which is dependant on size. For example, if your room is at 68F, you may find that it will only heat to 73F - if the heater is small/undersized... If the room is 75F, you may find that the tank to be at 80F - once again, if small/undersizes.

A good way to get around this is to get an appropriately sized heater - aka ignore watts per gallon, which is used for reptiles but not very good for hermies IMO. Many hermit crab keepers recommend getting a UTH that covers the entire back of the tank, above the substrate line in order to heat the tank appropriately. Doing so, its likely that the tank will still heat up by a set amount, but may be a 10-15F difference compared to 5F.

The crabs will naturally have cool/hot zones, since the front of the tank will naturally be cooler than the back where the UTH has been placed.

Another good idea is to insulate the tank, by trapping in the heat within the tank. A good suggestion is to use cardboard wrapped with tinfoil - or styrofoam, or the reflective shield used for car windows - to reflect the heat back in. Some brands of UTH can be safely insulated, where the insulation material can be placed on top of the heater... (Other brands can't, due to already being insulated. In that case, insulate 'around' the heater, but not on top of the heater...) As you may of guessed, insulating also helps further increase temperature within the tank.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

This morning the tank temp was at about 17c, (the heaters on all the time) it's now at 20.3, with humidity at 99% (it's always that high)
I have plastic cling film over the top, that was to keep the heat in, it's just we had a cold snap Friday and the temp prior to that was about 23.5c.

So, are these heaters not heating the entire area of the tank?

EDIT:
Would this be capable of keeping the tank warm?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIGITAL-THE ... 0#viTabs_0

EDIT:
The temp reading was at the cooler end of the tank, I only just realized that fact. I moved the temp probe to the other end of the tank where the heat mat is and the temp spiked to 23c, it's now 22.8c.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

What's the dimensions of the tank?

Judging by the use of Celsius and the fact that you mentioned a cold snap, you wouldn't happen to be Aussie? Regardless, cling film isn't going to do much to retain heat. While it is better than nothing at all or screen, its like adding a pinch of salt to to 100 liters (or gallons) and calling it salt water. :)

If so, would highly reccomend getting a UTH to cover the entire back of the tank above the substrate line.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

Yes, I'm Aussie mate, live in Wagga Wagga, the tank is a 65 litre 60.1 cm Long x 30.8 High x 30 Wide.
the Exo terra heater I have covers about 1/3 of the back of the tank, I'm not sure I want to peel it off to put a larger one on, that would be a real waste of $46.

Can I get another and attach it?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

charcoal44 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 10:09 Yes, I'm Aussie mate, live in Wagga Wagga, the tank is a 65 litre 60.1 cm Long x 30.8 High x 30 Wide.
the Exo terra heater I have covers about 1/3 of the back of the tank, I'm not sure I want to peel it off to put a larger one on, that would be a real waste of $46.

Can I get another and attach it?
Ouch. I heard that gets cold during winter...

Since you already have the exoterra, yeah, you may as well continue using it. I personally dont see why not!

Another good idea would be to use a heating cable or cord, and tap that to the back of the tank, around the current heater. Then to ensure heat is reflected back in, cover with tinfoil or a cup of peice of the reflective car windshield...

charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

The exo terra's back is coolish to the touch, wont a heating cable possibly overheat or melt the pad?

I had a thought that covering the tank overnight with a throw rug may help to insulate the tank against the cold getting through the glass.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

The throw rug is certainly a good idea. :) if the exo terra cant be insulated - I dont think it can - ensure the rug isn't covering the heater, which could lead to a fire hazard - small risk, but sill worth mentioning IMO.

I meant that the cable covered the back of the tank where the current heater doesnt (above the substrate).... sorry for the confusion.... but regardless, the cord wouldn't do much damage to the matt (they both hot :) )

charcoal44
Zygote
Zygote

Post by charcoal44 »

Ok, Any suggestions as to the type of cable/cord?
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by aussieJJDude »

charcoal44 wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 15:09 Ok, Any suggestions as to the type of cable/cord?
I think any would work. In order to heat the tank, I would at least get a 5-7m cable...