aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Changing from painted shells

Post by aussieJJDude »

KillingTank wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 09:05 Their current shell are these, I believe they need this same shape? I have bought 5 new shells of this type praying they will use them
That one is a Babylonia. And yes, its good to have a couple of shells similar to their current type's, but also good to have options of other species just in case. :) variety is the key!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 8
Total tanks: 1

Post by KillingTank »

aussieJJDude wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 15:45
KillingTank wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 09:05 Their current shell are these, I believe they need this same shape? I have bought 5 new shells of this type praying they will use them
That one is a Babylonia. And yes, its good to have a couple of shells similar to their current type's, but also good to have options of other species just in case. :) variety is the key!
1 of them have transferred into the snail looking type shell! It looks so cool!! But I am praying when the new shells arrive they will go in them, I hate them being in toxic painted shells…
KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote

Post by KillingTank »

aussieJJDude wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 15:45
I am really upset, I got Sneaky to change his toxic shell to the Babylonia shell but I have just discovered it get stuck in the shell (the back part) and ripped off its limbs and died. I had to clean deep in the shell to remove all the limbs and whatnot.

Is there nothing I can do about them choosing a shell which is too small for them?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Sneaky was stuck to the painted shell or the Babylonia shell? You can't force a hermit crab to change shells; all you can do is offer plenty of options for them to choose from.
Wai
KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote

Post by KillingTank »

Wai wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 20:24 Sneaky was stuck to the painted shell or the Babylonia shell? You can't force a hermit crab to change shells; all you can do is offer plenty of options for them to choose from.
The new babylonia shell, I gave Sneaky plenty of options but after it changed into this shell and I saw him not change shells anymore (he changed around 4 times) I took the toxic painted shell out of the habitat. Maybe I should have left it in there?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Some painted shells can be boiled and then the paint can be peeled off. If you can't get the paint off, I wouldn't put the painted shell back in the tank.
Wai
KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote

Post by KillingTank »

Wai wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 21:04 Some painted shells can be boiled and then the paint can be peeled off. If you can't get the paint off, I wouldn't put the painted shell back in the tank.
Even though it was a perfect fit for him? It is more sensible to make sure it does not go back into the painted shell or making sure the shell will not make it stuck and tear itself?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

A crab being stuck in an unpainted shell and tearing itself apart is something I have never heard of in the past two decades. I imagine you were just unlucky as it’s not something I would expect to be common. Painted shells are definitely not something I would recommend leaving in a tank if you can’t get the paint off.
Wai
KillingTank
Zygote
Zygote

Post by KillingTank »

Wai wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 22:51 A crab being stuck in an unpainted shell and tearing itself apart is something I have never heard of in the past two decades. I imagine you were just unlucky as it’s not something I would expect to be common. Painted shells are definitely not something I would recommend leaving in a tank if you can’t get the paint off.
Okay very well, I feel better now hearing that. Thank you