Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: The horror behind painted shells

Post by Wai »

anniehorsekrab wrote:The first one just SCARED me. Who could do such things? 8| :( >[
Hermit crabs are marketed towards kids. Kids generally won't imagine such things happening, so those horrible people get away with it.
Wai
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 38
Total tanks: 2

Post by Salt and Pepper »

Wai wrote:
anniehorsekrab wrote:The first one just SCARED me. Who could do such things? 8| :( >[
Hermit crabs are marketed towards kids. Kids generally won't imagine such things happening, so those horrible people get away with it.
Well, I'm a kid. But I understand the care and do not consider my pets 'accesories'. I can imagine that (well, i care about gas prices too.. *| )and that's horrible.
I love all my hermies! They are all PPs.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

New plexi glas lid :D
RIP Helena and Luna-Who died molting...
and Salt and Pepper, my first hermies that died to lack of proper care <3
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 15

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Whenever I go out to buy spare shells, the GOOD ones are always PAINTED and the few natural ones left are either cracked, too big, too small, have a bad opening, or whatnot. It's disgusting! :@
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
ala-kazaam
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 15

Post by ala-kazaam »

Aww! Omg, I can't even believe this. :( I never bought a painted sheel, because I think they're stupid, and ugly. But I never thought they would be so cruel as well! :'( People are so cruel! :|
~*~Herman~*~Hector~*~Henry~*~
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Animal cruelty is everywhere, it's just that people don't realise it. Just take a look at a typical pet store tank and witness an example yourself.
Wai
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35

Post by Sterwick »

Yes I've seen the videos and signed the petition before.. but it still makes me sick. :'( And sadly a very big problem too, i find myslf making many similar comments like this many times over. Problem with some kids is they love the cute shells and little pink kritter keepers but once they get the crabs they soon become bored of them like some toy and stop caring about them, while they just die because they are not housed in the right conditions and because the kids neglect them. Every pet needs responsibility- I am surprised though that these kids go for crabs if they are looking for cuteness and cuddlyness. Just because hermit crabs aren't the most brightest or conscious of creaures, they don't deserve to be treated like this. Besides, I think natural shells make the tank look much more realistic and you don't need paint to get beautiful patterns or textures. And besides i think painted football and spongebob shells look stupid.

Stevo.
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
emmalwatson
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 10

Post by emmalwatson »

Wai,
I have two hermit crabs with a painted shell. My BFF has two hermit crab with a painted shell, too. I got them both from the Kennel Shop, so did my BFF. Do you think it's ok for them to be in a painted shell? They have moved shells a bit since I've had them. I REALLY want the best for my crabs! :)
How do you remove the paint??????!! I can't let my hermit crabs suffer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

Nope, the paint on the shells is bad for the crabs. You should look on ebay for unpainted hermit crab shells, or check out the Hermit Crab Patch or Naples Sea Shell Company (both are also online). Removing the paint can't be done unless the crab is out of the shell (it involves very hot water). Try to get 3 unpainted extra shells per crab in your tank and see if they'll change. :)
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100

Post by Jadexox »

i see pet shops were the only spare shells are painted :(
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

You can also find natural shells on Ebay at very good prices.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.