CAS_678
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 11
Total tanks: 1

Extra/spare shells

Post by CAS_678 »

Can someone tell me why in some photos of crabitats there is a pile of spare shells kept together in a separate container to the substrate, not just on the floor? Know what I mean?!?! :S

I know they need spare shells, but why keep them in a container together?
New carer of 3 Australian Land Hermit Crabs & on a very steep learning curve!
First moult: May 2013!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Extra/spare shells

Post by Wai »

I like to keep the shells in a basket above ground to prevent them from being buried.
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

It also provides extra space for them to run around and us there climbing skills....
For my shell shop i try to change up the entry/exist time to time... they enjoy it :D
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
martha
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 40

Post by martha »

Any ideas on where to donate small to medium sized shells that my crabs have outgrown? It would be nice if they could be used by other hermit crabs. I was thinking they should be returned to where wild hermit crabs live, but I don't have any plans to travel there!
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65

Post by aussieJJDude »

martha wrote:Any ideas on where to donate small to medium sized shells that my crabs have outgrown? It would be nice if they could be used by other hermit crabs. I was thinking they should be returned to where wild hermit crabs live, but I don't have any plans to travel there!
Maybe sell/swap them on line for some other shells?
Maybe make a post here:
viewforum.php?f=115
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.