What do you think of this community?

Queries and feedback on how this site is run. No care questions.
scmokat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 2

Re: What do you think of this community?

Post by scmokat »

The website is wonderful. I've spent hours upon hours reading the caresheets and general information. This rapidly became one of my favorite sites when I first started looking into how to be a better crabber. I didn't at that time spend a lot of time on the forum part. Now I will check that on a fairly regular basis. Not so much in need of help as I once was but because I do enjoy the amusing stories and pictures posted. The only thing I'm not so crazy about is the ranking based on number of posts. On the one hand, there are some very experienced crabbers out there and they have advised many people and I can see having a system that designates and recognizes their knowledge and contribution. On the other hand, I have also seen instances of crabbers that their stats are showing over 100 posts and yet they still don't have some of the basics down. For the most part the posts seem informative, but I think it can be misleading by people posting, aw cute crab. Does that make sense?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

It most certainly does make sense scmokat and why quite a few sites have done away with the 'ranks'. Too many times there are some who do only post to see their post count go up and after X amount their ranks change. The Crab Crew's user names are in bold coloring in hopes of having them stand out a bit from others. However that being said, there are quite a few members here too who through reading and a bit of experience themselves are quite knowledgeable too. :)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
autumnfalls
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 50

Post by autumnfalls »

I too love the site and it's information. Could you add a "see new post/threads" option? I've seen it on other forums and I really like it. Thanks for all the hard work guys!
Long haired Crab Enthusiast!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

There is this option on the forum index page:
index.php

Right above “Announcements”
* View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topic

Click the "View new posts" If there are any, they will be in the next window that opens.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
autumnfalls
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 50

Post by autumnfalls »

Oh thanks ladybug, I didn't see that!
Long haired Crab Enthusiast!
Grandma Crabber
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by Grandma Crabber »

I love it! My grandchildren had two crabs and are moving so I am "Crabsitting" until they move. They have lost several crabs and didn't know how much care is actually involved. So I have educated myself and will continue to do so because the little creatures fascinate me. I have 5 Equadorians and 6PP's. Keep up the good work with this site as I am reading EVERYTHING>
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40

Post by D'sCrabs »

Love love love IT!!!
monitor_ep
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

Post by monitor_ep »

I am so glad found this website. It has helped me by showing what I did wrong before I went to far. I am now in the middle of fixing my colony the proper way so I can make my babies happy. I know they are happy because they loved to chirp at night. Thanks for all the help on this site and I hope it stays up for a long time.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35

Post by rmbrmb »

I like this site! But, what bothers me is most people don't read "crab care" before hand. (including me) I didn't think it was a big deal, but I soon learned how annoying it is to type the same things, over and over and over and over again! XD Once, I went on this site when my friend was with me........ Now I'm a "hermit crab nerd".....
(Im sure seeing natruallycrabby, hermitcrabpatch, crabstreetjornal, and hermitcrabaddactionstore didn't help my case, XD)
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Love it

Post by babesbarn »

I really love this board. It has helped me enjoy my hobby so much. Yes, my little hermie family is a hobby and my husband asks "what does the board say about this or that too". you are talking a 20 year retired from the military Master Sargent. He is a no nonscense person and if he is interested in What the Hermit Crab Paradise has to say...then I know you are a worthwhile board.
We love the pictures and information posted regularly. Sometimes I miss a few days but I always come "here first" for an answer or two or just to add to my journal. Thanks for the space for that too. It helps me keep track of my progress. I think had I not found you...my hermies would be gone by now. I was even thinking of getting a T shirt that says "Say NO to painted shells. I could wear it on the boardwalk here at the Jersey shore USA. I live right here and they sell the painted shell crabs. My Spiderman was one. And you guided me in all the right directions. Hope I have not said too much but I do hope you keep the board open. :D :D