What do you think of this community?

Queries and feedback on how this site is run. No care questions.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: What do you think of this community?

Post by appps »

Can I admit I've never read the rules? Took one look and scrolled on past. I've just noticed it's often please read the rules rather than hello.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Hi appps, do you mean that we don't say "Hello" enough and get carried away with referring to the rules? I make it a habit to welcome someone after their first post, but I'll definitely keep an eye out to see if everyone is getting welcomed here.

I have revised the rules again to further refine them down. Tell me what you think.
Wai
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

Firstly, in response to you wai, "I would like to speak in defence of the crab crew......." I sincerely apologise if I was the "attacker" (for want of a better word) in my previous post, if I did I was not aware of it.

Answering your question about the rules and guidelines, I think that they are reasonable in all aspects, however some may be taken in different ways (not that this is a bad thing). I've just read them, and I'm not concerned with any changes, and I think that if a rule is erased, then no it should not be followed, although common sense should always be in mind - any newbies coming on would obviously have no idea of that previous rule anyway...!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

No no, that's why I said I would like to 'politely' speak in defence, hahaha! XD There was no attacking involved.

The rules were previously written to be very blunt, but as the others have mentioned, they can come across as 'intimidating' instructions to some. As such, I have taken out the obvious whilst still implying it. It's common sense, as you say.
Wai
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

Hi Wai, to your previous question yes, I've seen first time posters who rather than getting a nice welcome and a quick answer to a simple question have been told hello but then that they should read the rules and search before asking questions. Not a good way to keep them posting.

If new comers can't ask basic and yes repetitive questions they won't really have a way to join in. We have all heard those questions before but for them it's all new and a worry as they've just discovered they are doing everything wrong. In most forums newbies ask newbie questions, intermediate members share their new found knowledge by answering them and the old timers and experts chime in on the tricky and interesting ones. It keeps everyone chatting, gives everyone a chance to take part and makes for a friendly active forum.

By having rules that cut out those beginners as they aren't allowed to ask their question because they may have been asked before so they have to search for answers instead they never end up feeling part of the community so don't hang around.

I think this is a great forum with great members and I think the new less daunting rules will mean more people will discover that :-)
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Hi appps, those are very good points that you mentioned. I think in the future, the oldies can let the intermediate members answer the more basic or 'repetitive' questions from newbies, since they haven't been doing that for as long. I'm sure the intermediate members won't mind. Over time, these roles will shift, with the newbies becoming intermediate members with more experience to then help the next lot of newbies.

The oldies can still keep an eye out and chime in as you said when the need arises. To an extent I have been doing that already (full-time work really takes a huge chunk out of my daily life). I don't post as often as I used to, but I still log in to read just as often.
Wai
Gail
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 29

Post by Gail »

I'm very pleased by the direction of this conversation. I just read the rules again and they do sound better, much like I've seen on other forums.
The unfriendly "don't bother us with your newbie questions" vibe is gone and I hope that I can eventually contribute to the community:)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I owe it to everyone for their feedback. I just wish someone had mentioned it earlier. :)
Wai
Carrie
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30

Post by Carrie »

Welcome to the site! Glad you are enjoying the info. Enjoy! :)
Carrie
Dedicated to those who have gone before.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Hey Wai
would it be possible if one day this site was on tapatalk? ever since i got an upgrade on my phone i have been using it to access mostvof my forums and i love the way that tapatalk notifies one when a new post has been created.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.