What do you think of this community?

Queries and feedback on how this site is run. No care questions.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: What do you think of this community?

Post by CrabbyJo »

Wai,
I think you've done an excellent job with this site, and I do visit it more than I visit any other forum. This one feels more comfortable and cozier, and I love the "view new posts" link so I don't have to try to guess where the replies are or look at the date and time stamps to see what thread has been posted to recently.

I know you are working hard to update the care section, and that's definitely high priority, but I have a couple of suggestions:

Put a link to the crab care section at the top of the forum so a person can click the link to get there quickly if they read some information in a thread they want to know more about.

Also, any click of an outside link takes a person away from HCP in the same window, whereas having it open a second window instead would be more beneficial, if it's possible to set up the coding that way. I always worry about remembering to not close a window but use the back button to get back to the forums at HCP when I've clicked a link.

Also, it would be of utmost benefit to the crabbing community if the forums were able to be publicly viewed so that people just browsing for information could read our posts and glean more information than they would have otherwise. I'm sure this would encourage more people to sign up and join the conversations as they read what we've posted and get questions of their own.
you wouldn't need to open the whole forum, just the sections relating to crab care. This I think would help the site grow the fastest. Please consider doing this!

Thank you so much for all you've done and all you are doing, I refer people here all the time!

Joanna
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

phpBB3 forums aren't easy to customise through manual coding, but I have done the following upon your request:

- A link to the Crab Care section has been added on top of the Chirp & Chat forum.
- All forums are now open for reading by unregistered users.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Hurrah! I think that will help a lot. I hope we see a bunch of new people signing up and asking questions. :)
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
jdude0u812
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 30

Post by jdude0u812 »

very nice indeed found out so much from this site.thank you to all the administrators and all other who have replied. to my questions
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29

Post by bobo »

This is one of my favorite websites to go on, thanks so much for making it Wai! :D
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
roxanne
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

Post by roxanne »

I love this site as it is very informative and it covers all aspects of caring for your crabs. glad that i came across it now i use it all the time. thanks. ;)
Kelly
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

Post by Kelly »

I think this forum is totally awesome! I've read 3 threads and have been able to improve my hermies' living conditions (increase in humidity and removing my ONE blasted painted shell). Thanks all, I think I'm gonna love this forum!
The Hermies: Atlas, Sebastian, and Marty.

The Sled Dogs: Trooper, Dori, Velly, Oshkosh, Nellie, Popcorn, Marshall, Draco, Orion, Lyra, Nova, and Sirius

The Yard Dog: Red!
rjp_1986
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10

Post by rjp_1986 »

I am so excited after 4 days of research I have stumbled upon this forum! I'm the newest member but I also belong to a gossip forum and this site is sophiticated in appearance! I view it mainly from my phone, though its not very mobile friendly, I stumble through because the information found on here is worth every effort! I am purchasing hermit crabs soon, though I am trying to hold off and wait because last month the carnival came into town and for prizes were giving away hermit crabs in clear plastic cups. They were sitting in direct heat all day and night with nothing in the cups but themselves alone! I wanted to cry! So I'm waiting for people to get bored with them and pass them along to me to care for! Poor things!

Back to topic! Great site, wish it was mobile friendly! But the most informative site found online! Good job!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

rjp_1986,
I'm so glad to hear you found us. I'm sorry that the site isn't "mobile friendly", I just always view it from work and home.
It is awesome that you are planning to adopt the crabs that others probably won't want - hopefully they aren't in bad conditions so that they end up sick before you get them :(
So many people have no idea how to care for their crabs, and the people/stores they get them from aren't any wiser. It's so sad.

So keep reading the care sheets here, and as you learn, maybe you can go to those people and start letting them know what their crabs will need to stay healthy (and alive!). Maybe they'll even give them up to you when they realize how much it's going to take lol.

Good luck! And Welcome!
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100

Post by Jadexox »

this site has helped me SOOOOO much im so happy it ageists and your all so helpfull
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!