Looking for a strawberry

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
hermieluver12596
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

Looking for a strawberry

Post by hermieluver12596 »

I really want a strawberry hermit crab. they are soooooooooo cute but the only place i can find one is at petco and every time i get one at petco it dies :( i need to know where i can find a nice and healthy strawberry hermit crab THANX!!!!!

Edited by moderator to change the subject. HELP!!!!! is not a proper subject title for such a posting (!)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Looking for a strawberry

Post by ladybug15057 »

I know many crabbers who have bought straws at Pet stores and have had a hard time keeping them alive for a year. This is even experienced successful crabbers. It is strongly recommended that one have numerous successful molts and optimal tank conditions as well as a large tank prior to even considering buying a straw. How long have you had hermies, what size tank do you have, and what species of hermies have you owned?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
johnny
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

Post by johnny »

how do i find people on the internet when we want to find out questions on the subject of trying to find out where we can find new speiceis of hemies as in trying to buy other hermies? i am looking to find out how to buy e's and others i love the colors of the strawlberry and the blue one they have me so fantisized about where i can buy them any help would be great thanks guys and gals

ps
i am wondering why it is so hard to keep the other colors arnet they the same as pp's well as you all may know i am a new craber thanks for your help
JOHNNY
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I'll try to answer all of your questions.

Buying crabs on the internet is a bad idea; shipping them is really stressful and just overall a bad idea. To find other species, you just need to go to every pet shop in your area. I had to go to 8 different shops to find my Es but I eventually did find them.

Straws and the other harder-to-find crabs are harder to find for a reason...they're fairly hard to take care of. Straws are hard for experienced crabbers to take care of - if you were to have 2 small straws you would need at least a 20g long tank. Any crabs on top of that mean you'd need at least 30 or 40 gallons until they got any bigger.

PPs are easier to take care of; they are more resilient and can handle greater ranges in temp. and humidity. The other species get harder to take care of as they are from different locales and have more specific needs. Also, the blue crabs aren't available outside of Japan because of their export/customs laws.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
johnny
Zygote
Zygote

Post by johnny »

how would you be able to get an export and what kinda crudentals would one need to get that kinda crab?
JOHNNY
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I don't think it's possible to get them to export the crabs. It's like how you can't get Aussies outside of Australia (so far as I know). Their country doesn't allow export of animals out or export of animals in. I'm fairly sure that unless you live in Japan, owning blueberry crabs is just a dream.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Yep Johnny, you're just going to have to enjoy your PP's or E's, and feed them lots of good carotene rich foods so they get nice and colorful. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
johnny
Zygote
Zygote

Post by johnny »

thanks for the help what a bout a black market lol just wondering but thanx for your help guys and gals
JOHNNY
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 38

Post by Salt and Pepper »

I have a Strawberry Hermit Crab. I'm not really sure where you can buy them, they are extremely rare. I had purchased mine at a local festival downtown. I'm not much help, sorry.
-Salt and PepperXxx
I love all my hermies! They are all PPs.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

New plexi glas lid :D
RIP Helena and Luna-Who died molting...
and Salt and Pepper, my first hermies that died to lack of proper care <3
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

The other thing is to keep going back to pet stores. I've been checking my local Petsmart for almost a year now for Es, and they just now got some (now that I can't buy them due to the iso tank being used by 2 molters). Ugg.

I have seen some Petcos that have straws in separate tanks from the regular crabs, but they're hard to find. Personally, while I think straws are adorable, I don't think I'd ever want one because of how picky they are with heat/humidity ranges, space needed, etc.

Mommy to: