A second chance to get straws

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

A second chance to get straws

Post by Wai »

The first time I encountered straws was in the Australian Pet Superstore (APS). I didn't get any, because they were the size of tennis balls. After all of their straws died out, they didn't get any more and their straw tank is now used to house black baby chickens. I doubt that they'll be getting any more. A member of CSJ managed to buy two golf ball sized straws at APS in October, but when tgirl73 and I went, there were only the giant ones left.

Recently, tgirl73 found out that another store called Coburg Aquarium can order straws upon our request. However, she was told that they could only get the tennis ball sized straws. I have been discussing with tgirl73 whether we should try keeping some straws, but we came to the conclusion that straws of that size should be left in the wild.

As you probably know, tgirl73 has an awesome 126 gallon tank, but she is only willing to keep golf ball sized straws. I have a 14 gallon main tank and a 7 gallon iso tank. If I were to keep one straw, I might have to keep it in the 7 gallon tank alone with more substrate and deeper dishes and let it roam freely outside the tank for exercise under my supervision. However, it will probably feel lonely, as I can only make room and cater for one straw. The straw will probably trash the 14 gallon main tank if I were to leave it in there, since I have designed the layout of it for small hermit crabs, not giant ones.

I have had this debate about keeping a straw stuck in my head for days and would like to hear what everyone else thinks, just to release the tension. Below are some more ideas that I have thought of.

Advantages of keeping a monster straw
- I can study its behaviour and compare it with the common Aussie hermit crabs.
- Learn and cater for its special requirements, such as having even warmer and humid tank conditions
- In the future, Australians may never get the chance to keep straws ever again, so maybe I should make use of the chance while it is still available.

Disadvantages of keeping a monster straw
- Being in the wild for so many years and despite letting it out of the tank frequently, it may stress out the straw
- It may have extra difficulties moulting, being so big.
- Coburg Aquarium keeps the Aussie hermit crabs in the worst conditions I've seen so far (no substrate nor heat source). If they import a large number of straws, some will be left alone to die in the pet store.

Note: Don't worry about the availability of spare shells, since I know a place that sells plenty of shells of all sizes. Money isn't a real issue (not that I'm rich, but I am willing to pay for the straw's well-being).

And to the newer crabbers, remember that before making any decisions concerning your hermit crabs, don't forget to consider the disadvantages and consequences of making that particular decision.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: A second chance to get straws

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai, may I please suggest to at least have a 20 gal tank for the straw? I would also like to suggest NOT to only get 1 straw, straws need companions as well. So with 2 straws a tank with a 30 inch long floor by at least 12 inches would be needed. To try to observe a single straw in a small 7 gal tank? Not much room for him to do much of anything for you to observe?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Well yes, I agree, that's why I'm leaning more towards not getting one.

However, I recall seeing a hermit crab in the APS C. variabilis tank that might be a juvenile straw, however, there is a great deal of uncertainty there. However, that hermit crab appeared to be very ill, but I am going to check out APS again just to be sure. Luckily I've learnt to tell Aussies apart from straws without the aid of exo colour.

Marie, what is your straw set up like? I know you keep them in a separate tank, yes? What size are the straws?
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

They are between the sizes of a large plum/tennis ball.
I have large water ponds, both ocean and fresh water where they can completely submerge into if they want/need to. Cool end 71-73* F warm end 78-80-82* F. (yes I have a temp controller) Humidity 75-78%. Large food dish they can climb into with ease to eat, Choya logs, cork bark, 4 huts, corals, second level, larva rock, vines, dry CaribSea sand, 5 extra changing shells a piece. (I have 4 straws) The are housed in a 40 gal reptile breeder tank, with a plexiglas lid to help hold in the humidity. They think nothing of climbing under the screen lid on top of the tank either, even though nothing reaches the top for them to do so by. They climb the silicone on the inside corners of the tank wall to get there! Certainly VERY active hermies, and do like to rearrange a tank as well. 8| I use a UTH to heat the tank with, no lights... but there are 4 skylights in the room where they are as well as 4 large sliding glass doors too so lots of daylight during the day. I do not use a light either at night, no need to.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

Take the chance while you have it, Wai. You may never get another. :D
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I have pretty much decided not to get straws for the time being, since I adopted (yes, AGAIN) one more hermit crab. See my journal for full details.

The hermit crab that I mentioned earlier was a small C. variabilis, not a straw. Aussies have black granule (spots) on their legs, while straws have white granule on their legs.
Wai
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

I Have A huge straw. Monster, He was in the pet store when I bought my small straws, I did not want one his size but every time I would go back for supplies he was still there. So one day I finally broke down and got him because I was afriad someone who may not know a lot would get him, He had been in the store for months and I figured if he survived that long I would give it a go, I have had him over a year now with a successfull molt and he is one of my favorite crabs! He is super friendly and since his molt has shown a ton of personality, He seems to love hanging around with my tinyest crab A little EE named suds LOL!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

OT: Foxydiva3, could you please update your profile? It states you have 0 hermies, doesn't say which country you're from (which due to you mentioning Petco I assume U.S. ?) or what size tank/tanks you have. Thanks!
And BTW, congratulations on keeping a straw alive for a year. Many have a hard time doing this. Straws are one of the more sensitive species to try to keep.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

LOL Ladybug I have never filled out my profile because when I first came to this site I could never figure it out. Now that I have been here awhile I have just Forgot. I will get to it! I do have a pic that was used of one of my Straws with a little EE, He is the Pic on the Crab care page giving each other huggs! I will update this weekend :D
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Thank you!
And I did see his picture when you added it as well as on the Crab care section page. Such a sweet picture!! :D
Marie (aka ladybug15057)