What kind of Hermies are my crabs?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: What kind of Hermies are my crabs?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Without being able to get in touch with Robin, it cannot be determined for sure what species of hermie is first on her home page. To determine this a picture of the sides of the eyes talks, the large pincher and the left rear walking leg are needed. (something that has been explained before) Please use the ID'er that Wai has here within the HCP to ID your hermie, or provide pictures for us to help you.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 38
Total tanks: 2

Post by Salt and Pepper »

http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/galle ... at=0&pos=4

It's his Claw.

I looked at a C. pseudorugosus or whatever, and it looked like him. But these aren't kept as pets, right?
I love all my hermies! They are all PPs.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

New plexi glas lid :D
RIP Helena and Luna-Who died molting...
and Salt and Pepper, my first hermies that died to lack of proper care <3
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I'm sorry, but the picture is too blurred even blowing it up to see clearly to determine the species.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I agree with Marie. Does your camera have a "macro" setting? If it does, it's usually indicated by a flower. That will make it easier to get close-ups.

With his coloring as we can see in the picture, regardless of blur, he is NOT a straw. Strawberries are brilliant red color. I'm actually somewhat suspecting he's another E - I've seen Es that color scheme, but he could be a rug. We need a clear picture of the big pincher to be sure. What we're looking for on that big pincher is the presence of "stitch marks" - they look kind of like \\\\\\\\ along the claw. They're harder to see on littler crabs, but at his size they should be very visible. Stitch marks indicate an E.

Also, I noticed that your crabs are in painted shells - do you have natural shells to offer them to change into?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I

ladybug15057 wrote:I'm sorry, but the picture is too blurred even blowing it up to see clearly to determine the species.
Sorry, my camera was't working good that time and those are the only pics I have of him.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I

emmac350 wrote:I agree with Marie. Does your camera have a "macro" setting? If it does, it's usually indicated by a flower. That will make it easier to get close-ups.

With his coloring as we can see in the picture, regardless of blur, he is NOT a straw. Strawberries are brilliant red color. I'm actually somewhat suspecting he's another E - I've seen Es that color scheme, but he could be a rug. We need a clear picture of the big pincher to be sure. What we're looking for on that big pincher is the presence of "stitch marks" - they look kind of like \\\\\\\\ along the claw. They're harder to see on littler crabs, but at his size they should be very visible. Stitch marks indicate an E.

Also, I noticed that your crabs are in painted shells - do you have natural shells to offer them to change into?
Well, my cousin bought my first 2 in painted shells when I wasn't there- Kawaii and Wasabi. Jake and Luna- Petsmarts only kind. Salt and Pepper- Were sold at a festival, only painted shells. I offer painted shells with various sizes and openings and they won't change. His claw was wide and fat and white colored. It was specled with maroon red spots and oramge spots. The top leg covering his claw was light orange speckle with red dots. He came out his shell once and he is red-orange, has eyes like an E and has peach antenna. I think I've taken a picture, but I forgot. He looks like a C. psuedorugosus- due to the picture Wai had posted in the Species: C Psudorugosus. His claw and color are alot different from my other straw- who had a bright red color, a flat wrench-shaped claw, neon orange antennae and almond-shaped eyes. I will check for a another picture.

I know what the stitch marks are because my E had some on his claw. Salt didn't have stitch marks.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

You offer your crabs painted shells? Have you not read about the dangers painted shells pose to your crabs' health? That paint will eventually chip (given that crabs dig and the substrate scratches against the paint, plus the moisture in a substrate will weaken the paint) and the hermies will pretty much always taste it - they taste everything in their tanks! That paint, when ingested, has been shown to sicken and, in a number of cases, kill the crabs. Please buy natural shells for your crabs - they can be just as pretty as painted ones (although they don't have cartoon characters on them, but they are just as pretty, if not more!) and won't make your crabs sick. There are a number of online retailers that offer natural shells for your crabs...please ask if you need some places to look at!

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I

emmac350 wrote:You offer your crabs painted shells? Have you not read about the dangers painted shells pose to your crabs' health? That paint will eventually chip (given that crabs dig and the substrate scratches against the paint, plus the moisture in a substrate will weaken the paint) and the hermies will pretty much always taste it - they taste everything in their tanks! That paint, when ingested, has been shown to sicken and, in a number of cases, kill the crabs. Please buy natural shells for your crabs - they can be just as pretty as painted ones (although they don't have cartoon characters on them, but they are just as pretty, if not more!) and won't make your crabs sick. There are a number of online retailers that offer natural shells for your crabs...please ask if you need some places to look at!
!!That was a mistake, silly me! I ment natrual! -.-

I'm strongly against Painted Shells too. But, they won't change.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Okay, I'm glad. I was SO confused when you said painted. I'm sorry if you thought I was being mean; I was just trying to get you to realize the dangers of painted shells in case you didn't already know.

Mommy to:

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

But Salt and Pepper the pictures you uploaded on July 15, 2009 show extra painted shells in the tank? :S
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/galle ... t=0&pos=10

Marie (aka ladybug15057)