What type of crab is this?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
newsboys
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7

What type of crab is this?

Post by newsboys »

Hello,
Included are two pictures of a crab I got at PetSmart... I was under the impression they only sold purple pinchers and Ecuadorians, but this one doesn't look like any of my other E's.. Sorta looks like a Spinosus, but I could be wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: What type of crab is this?

Post by Wai »

Hmm... he is a tricky one. From the shape of his "extra-thick" leg, I think he is an E, not a rug.
Wai
newsboys
Zygote
Zygote

Post by newsboys »

The eyestalks also look thick like an E - he's so different though from the rest of my E's. So weird. He's a fair bit more active, too.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

With the candy corn shaped eye stalks, the coloring of the large pincher and the stitch marks on it too, I would lean to an E as well.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I agree with the others - I would say he is an E. However, I am rather interested as to any explanations for how thick the upper part of his BP leg is. What would cause the upper part of the BP leg to be so big?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Good question Emma and if a clear straight on shot of that last left leg could be taken it would help too. But the other characteristics are that of an E, and what I am seeing he also looks like an E in premolt.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I don't have any input except to exclaim at the awesome coloring of that crab! Now I will have to check my E's to see if they have a patterning similar to that on this crab. He's such a dark, rich color, too. Lucky you!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
newsboys
Zygote
Zygote

Post by newsboys »

I love the coloring on him, too! He's very active, and hard to keep still for any kind of photo, and the coloring was unique from all the other E's I've seen, which is why I was wondering.
I included another shot of his left side legs, as requested (at least, the shot I thought was requested) If you need me to take a shot from slightly behind him to get a better view of the last leg, let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImCrabby
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 99

Post by ImCrabby »

Definitely an Ecuadorian. I have a few with that coloring. That is what some people refer to as a calico E, which was once thought to be a different sub species. But just a color Es can be.
47 Ecuadorians 24 Purple Pincers 2 Ruggies and 27 micro Es see them here
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

ImCrabby, this post is over a month old and the species has already been determined. Why are you commenting on this now? The owner already knows what type of crab it is.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.