Is my crab mixed with 2 different species?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
xXxEmilixXx
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Is my crab mixed with 2 different species?

Post by xXxEmilixXx »

I recently bought a new crab, and I noticed that on one of his legs is white and a lot larger than his other legs. The rest of his body is brown. Help?!
**Emili**

R.I.P to my beloved hermies who are no longer with us> Pinchy***Harold Zoid***Zoidberg 1***Zoidberg 2***Joe***Edna The Original***Boris***Popcorn***
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Is my crab mixed with 2 different species?

Post by emmac350 »

Hmm, that sounds really interesting! Could you maybe take a picture for us so we can see what it actually looks like?

It is not possible for your crab to be two different species. Species are generally defined by whether the mating of two animals within it would produce viable (able to reproduce) offspring. So two different species (with a few exceptions, such as dogs, coyotes, and wolves which can all interbreed even though they are different species) cannot produce viable offspring. Some species can reproduce and produce nonviable (sterile) offspring, like horses and donkeys making mules.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.