Species chirping differences?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Species chirping differences?

Post by emmac350 »

I own PPs and Es and I think I've noticed a big difference between the two (besides the obvious). My Es have only chirped once, and that was in the middle of a shell fight and sounded like "cha cha cha.", My two new PPs, on the other hand, sound like there's a baby bird in their tank at night. I'm not sure if I'm hearing them chirp as it sounds NOTHING like the Es chirping, but the only other explanation for that sound would be their legs or shells on the glass and they'd have to be continually doing it.

Has anyone else who owns both species noticed this with their crabs? I'd love to hear your experiences!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Species chirping differences?

Post by CrabbyJo »

I've heard squeeking from my tank that is most definitely the sound of them digging and legs squeaking against the glass.
The only time I've heard hermies chirp, it's been more like a "croak" than a chirp. I would be inclined to think you are hearing someone digging around and legs squeaking against the glass as they dig.
The theory is the chirping is caused by them scraping a leg against the shell on the inside, which makes sense, as that is how it sounds to me, too.
Marie, you have that chirping queen of the log hermie, do you think she's got a leg up in there and is scraping it against her shell?
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Yeah, I heard a lot of the PP noises this afternoon. It sounded like my old cat used to sound when he was "talking" to birds on the lawn, combined with the noises my cockatiel would make when he was...ahem...rubbing his behind on his ladder (light, loving chirping). I've watched them crawl on glass and heard what it sounds like, and it doesn't sound like this. If I could, I'd record the noises I hear, but I don't have anything to do that.

I hope it isn't just leg on glass contact...it sounds so happy and loving! Like they're saying "thank you for bringing us home and giving us salt water and good food...we love you!" even though they're crabs.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Dang, woman, go out and buy a recorder! I want to hear that! lol

I'm jealous :)
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Well if it was/is from one of Squimys legs while she is on top of the choya log in the baby pool... than it was one of the little ones within the shell because all her walking legs and pinchers were out at the time. To me Squirmys (E) chirping seemed just a bit more high pitched than the PP's I have heard.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Those little legs in the shell don't look hard enough to make that kind of a noise, do they?
What do you think it is? wierd little critters!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

*shrugs* but when she is doing it, there is nothing bothering her so she isn't in any form of distress that I can tell?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

I remember you saying that Marie, so it makes me wonder if that assumption that it's usually a sign of distress is wrong? Seems a lot of assumptions in the general public about hermit crabs seem to be wrong! Or at least a bit misguided.

Maybe your little crab feels she's the "Pack protector" and is scaring away predators! lol. Or she really does think she's "Queen of the Log" and is letting them all know it. hahah.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I always wondered if some crabs are just more talkative because they want to communicate. I mean, dogs/wolves don't just make noise to scare other ones away or when they're scared themselves. I guess in a way it is, but maybe crabs communicate more than "stay away"?

Marie, I know you have a lot of crabs, so have you noticed any back and forth communication between them using noise as opposed to feelers? I've noticed that my crabs don't like hearing when I pick up the empty shells and they clink together - maybe they remember being captured and the noise the crabs made in the container they were put in?

Mommy to:

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Dunno, but I have heard chirping of both sorts. One to me is just general being vocal like Squirmy on top of the choya log, but I have also heard Donkey Kong (Jumbo) when King Kong had him upside down during one of his crabby pms signs. (King Kong flipped Donkey upside down and was pinching down into the hole of his shell) Now that chirp to me was a definite panic type chirp. It was very 'different' indeed. When I put King kong into iso and checked to see if Donkey was ok he came mostly out of his shell just a flying away with his antenna as though he was VERY mad!
I also heard Speedy Gonzales chirping too. He was in the corner of the main tank and was surrounded/cornered by a few tank mates. I did move him to iso where by morning when I got up he had molted.
Now last night hubby and I heard somebody chirping in my main tank... who it was or why they were chirping I dunno but it didn't sound like a panic chirp and everybody seemed ok.
And CrabbyJo many can 'assume' but not always is it factual. Unless research or experience has proven it... much is still up in the air. And I have had a couple crustacean scientists/biologists also say to me that researching in the field they can gather X amount of information where X amount is still unknown. Somethings just cannot/aren't known unless they are kept as pets and observed.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)