Species chirping differences?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Species chirping differences?

Post by emmac350 »

Thanks for your information! Unfortunately, I witnessed Rocky making those noises...and he was scraping his legs on the glass. So my 'loving' noises out of my crabs were just scraping on the glass. Oh well - I still think it sounds loving. :)

Spaz has stopped making noises and has also stopped moving around, so I'm fairly certain he's either currently molting or is about to or did sometime between yesterday and today. He was doing a lot of moving around, but then suddenly stopped; I can't think of any other reason for that!

I haven't heard chirping since that first shell fight with Curly and Nibs, and it's never been repeated, so I hope it never happens again!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 15

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Yes, I've heard my PP's make a baby bird sound, unless it was squeaky glass, but I DO think there is a difference in chirping.
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

It isn't the glass that is squeaky so much as it is their hard leg tips on the glass. It's sad, I love that noise especially when I still thought it could be them talking to me...but it's still a great noise even if it is just them scratching up the tank!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 15

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Yeah, it's really cute! #D :P
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Have you heard video's of hermies chirping? It is certainly an unique sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWgDGHUv ... annel_page

(click on "Sample Croak")

http://www.geocities.com/hermit_crabs/c ... irping.htm
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.