Strawberry hermit crab

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Strawberry hermit crab

Post by Foxydiva3 »

Straws, Every hermit crab owner that is really into their crabs at ont time or the other see's these crabs and because of their beauty wants to add one to thier tank. Even I was one of these owners. I heavely researched these guys, tried to find were I could buy them ect ect. But I waited. I started out with PP in a plastic tote. I had had Hcrabs through out my child hood and because I knewno better had them in those awfull wire cages and they would last no longer than a year. Now I am an adult and take the health of my pets more serious. These are creatures that have been taken from thier home and been through something traumatic to get to the pet store. So as far as room goes, being in a tank compared to thier natural environment is a huge difference! So I waited until I got a proper set up, and then spent a year with making sure I could keep EEs alive. PP are pretty hardy but EEs even some time have trouble so I knew No way would a straw make it. So after a long time getting the crabitat just right, I tried straws and I have had great luck, I have had 5 for over a year. I lost one. But I will say that they are very active, They are in with my other crabs and dont hurt them. But they are bulldozers and you have to reset the tank everyday and make sure the humidity is high! they like high humidity! So good luck but take this information and opinions seriously. I dont think IMO your set up is big enough. I have a huge straw in my 50 with other crabs, and even though he is doing well I am going to get another 50 with less crabs for him to go into. I feel bad when people say a small tank is enough becuase their crabs don't do anything. My crabs are very very active at all times of the day. Unless they are down for a molt. so the tank conditions might not be right if they are not doing much. Food for thought, sorry so long winded! :D :D :D
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by bobo »

Well now no one has to worry because I'm leaving them at the pet store.
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

It's good you decided to not get one Bobo, but I do hope you realize that we aren't trying to beat you up over it, we are all genuinely concerned about the Strawberries.
It can be SO tempting to see such a beautiful crab, and to want it SO bad, and have to be responsible and say, "but I am not sure I can care for it like it needs to be cared for." I am proud of you for realizing that you have to take the more mature road and tell yourself no at this time.

We know you are trying your best to raise your crabs and keep them alive and healthy. It is a very good idea that you've decided to wait. It gives you time to make sure you can keep your tank stable for months at a time, with stable temps and humidity. We sometimes think we are doing great, but find we still make some bad mistakes.

I thought I was doing well, and I went and got some moss from the pet store and soaked it in salt water to moisten it and keep it from getting moldy.
I had no idea there might be fly eggs in it that would not die from the salt water, and I got carnivorous flies, called phorid flies, in my tank. They can be horrible flies that can hurt the crabs.
I've had to do a major deep clean... but see, I thought I was being a very smart crab owner!

It's these little mistakes that we will make throughout our first year or two of learning to care well for our hermit crabs that help us learn, and it's best to not do it with a hard to care for crab that is more exotic. You made a very mature decision.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

Thanks crabby jo :)
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Earlier this year, I was very tempted to get a straw where I saw them for the first time in Australia. However, they were all "monster" sized (even bigger than what I would call "jumbo"). However, my tank was by far too small and the straws had been stuck in that horrible store since October 2008 in humidity levels well below 50%. I didn't expect them to live long even under my care, so I didn't get one.

Straws are a very beautiful species - there's no doubt about that, but looks can be deceiving. You're in the US, so there's a fat chance that you'll see them again after a few years more of experience.
Wai
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20

Post by vckums »

Bobo I'd like to tell you that I am proud of you! You thought about all the information provided here on Straw care and made the correct decision. I know it was a hard decision to make, as Straws are extremely beautiful, but hopefully it will have a chain reaction and that the store won't carry Straws anymore since noones buying them. Then the company who sells the Straws to stores stops getting them from the people who harvest them off the beaches. Then they stay wild, which is best.
Vicki
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

vckums wrote:Bobo I'd like to tell you that I am proud of you! You thought about all the information provided here on Straw care and made the correct decision. I know it was a hard decision to make, as Straws are extremely beautiful, but hopefully it will have a chain reaction and that the store won't carry Straws anymore since noones buying them. Then the company who sells the Straws to stores stops getting them from the people who harvest them off the beaches. Then they stay wild, which is best.
Thanks! I also think that it is best for strawberry hermit crabs to stay in the wild, so much more space!
Becky
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

I wish No Store Sold Hermitcrabs of any kind. As Much As I Love My guys I wish they could live a free life in the wild. I often say I would love to take them back to thier homes but unfortunatly they would just have the chance to be re-caught. You Did The right thing Bobo But Keep up with your crabbing and don't say you will never get one. There may come a time when you get the right set up and will have your own Straw! :D :D :D :D :D
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by bobo »

I do hope that someday I will get a straw. When I grow up and move out I would like to have a really large tank, like say over 130 gallons. If that ever happens I would deffinetly get a couple strawberry hermit crab.
Becky
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20

Post by vckums »

Think of reptile tanks. They are a lot cheaper then fish tanks. There's a store out here that sells 120 gallon reptile tanks for $200. It's huge, I've had one and had straws in it, and they thrashed that!! lol You get more floor space with reptile tanks.
Vicki