"Blueberry" crab?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

"Blueberry" crab?

Post by blondy627 »

Hello everybody! I just saw one of my hermies after a couple week molt and he looks like a blue/purple color. I didn't get to take a picture before he went digging again, but is it possible for me to have one of the crabs I've seen advertised as blue berry in up state New York?? (There's usually only PPs or if I'm lucky a couple Es) Or is something horribly wrong with my diet for them? I kept thinking he looked cold or bruised. (?)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: "Blueberry" crab?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Unless you paid an arm, leg, and couple teeth chances are your little one is not a Blueberry hermie. Are his eyes oval ()_() shaped or round? O_O Are there any stitches //// on the large pincher?
It use to be said that if the hermies were a blueish in coloring there was something lacking in their diet.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by blondy627 »

I have not been able to get a really good look since I've noticed this blueness, but I always thought it was a PP. So round eyes no noticed stiches on the claw. That's what I was worried about. He was pretty pale when I got him so I figured he would gain color once he had a better diet. That being said, I thought I was feeding all the right things. I was pretty sure I had it right (at least diet!) once I became a registered adopter. I feed a variety of fresh fruits and veggies, I make them "omlets" with the egg shell in it as well as other goodies, baby shrimp, krill, blood worms, boiled chicken, spirulina, rice, cuttle bone, they have fresh and salt dechlorinated water... I switched their bedding to Eco Earth. I'm not quite sure what is going on because I have had it since July and this is probably the 3rd moult.

I will try to get a picture if I can. All my crabs seem to have all moved in to identical shells (green turbos) so it makes it just a little bit harder. That and we got a new computer so all my favorites are gone, including all my hermie references!
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Blondy,
chances are also that he may still be recovering from molt and hasn't regained all his true color yet. If not, do make sure you're feeding plenty of seaweeds, proteins, and some good sources of cellulose like maple leaves, cork bark, and other wood/plant sources.
It doesn't hurt to give them nice colorful foods high in keratin as well, which will add to their color.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

You probably have a PP... it's the 'default' species in the US. PPs can be bluish in colour depending on their diet.
Wai
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by blondy627 »

Thanks everybody. I will keep an eye on him and let you know. Maybe he is not back to his normal color yet. I do give them seaweed, carrots, red and green pepper, and mopani wood. I believe they eat that wood as well? They certainly seem to. They get a little bit of what seems to be everything to eat.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Colour changes won't be obvious until they moult and grow a new coat of exoskeleton.
Wai