Strawberry with Aussie crabs?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Re: Strawberry with Aussie crabs?

Post by Ginger »

I just wanted to chuck in that they will usually only sell straws either golf all sized or larger because of how limited they are to stock them. They are usually SUPER expensive as well $70+. I have had crabs for 2yrs now and I'm still debating on whether to even get more Aussies or not!
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks Ginger i did read they only sell large ones for whatever reason...it will cost me $165 for 1 Strawberry...
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

My Antares shares the one 45 gallon tank with seven other Aussies. At times I think even that is still a bit small for him. You need to take into account that in Australia, you can only get jumbo straws. Antares currently fits snugly into a pearl turbo with a 32 mm diameter opening.

Even hermit crabs of the same species will have different social habits, let alone those of different species together. Antares seems to 'get along' with the others in the sense that I haven't witnessed him behaving aggressively to the others. Rather, he oftens spends time sitting alone without much interaction with the Aussies, who are far smaller and usually huddle as a group under the CHE. Antares is actually too big to sit under the CHE (I have a secure cage surrounding the CHE so that he can't touch the CHE and burn himself), but he would be able to if he tried digging a crater underneath it.

Antares uses the salt water pond a lot more than the Aussies. I very rarely see the Aussies submerging themselves; they tend to grab onto the edge of the pond and sip small mouthfuls of water on the tip of the bowl. On the other hand, it's not unusual to see Antares fully submerged in the salt water pond or dipping just his shell into it (with all limbs still clasped onto the edge of the pond).

Interestingly, Antares seldom flinches when people walk past the tank or glance over it, but if you try to pick him up, he will withdraw into his shell and not come out for a long time. As a result, I refrain from picking him up at all. The Aussies are the opposite; they flinch if you move past the tank, but will pop out promptly once picked up by hand.
Wai
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Thank you for the info on your Strawberry Wai i found it helpful...Do you know why they only sell Jumbo Straws? I find it hard to find bigger sizes in the Aussies(recently found a store with 3 pretty large crabs i will post it in the right section)Im glad Antares behaves himself with your Aussies though isnt he lonely sitting by himself?...My Aussies prefer salt water it seems as when they do need a drink or a dunk its nearly always in the salt pool...My Aussies do the same thing as in flinching when i walk past(or run backwards very quickly lol)then come out freely when i pick them up...Its funny that Antares does the opposite lol...May i ask how long you have had Antares?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I have had Antares since December last year. I often wonder whether hermit crabs are that 'social' - I'm sure some prefer to being alone. For those who have played Angry Birds, Antares actually reminds me of Terence! XD

I forgot to mention that jumbos can be VERY destructive. They can rearrange your tank and bury the water dishes.
Wai
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Oh nice....I guess we will never really know about their socialization habits and maybe Antares has enough social time with your Aussies....My new female seems to really like Chakotay(male with a similar shell) even after he flicked her in the face yesterday...I found her in a dug out hole with Chakotay sitting on her this morning....She hasnt really bothered with the other male as of yet....I think it may depend on the crab regarding needing company.
Oh i wasnt happy when i read they can be destructive and wreck a tank in a night lol....I straighten up the shells a lot as it is and hate sand piles lol but it is what they enjoy doing lol.....Lol Angry birds
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

So where do you buy strawberries? Is it just a luck of the draw thing to find a store that stocks them?
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Some people on here have mentioned stores having them but rarely....I found one online store that is in Australia that will ship them to you but i would much prefer to come across one in a pet store....I have no idea at all which stores in Vic stock them.....The online store i found them on is in NSW so you might have luck asking some of your local pet stores
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Hi appps, Marine Fish Direct in Narellan has them.
Wai
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Yes thats the store i found them on too :D