Straws available in Australia?

Questions about identifying the differences between species.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Straws available in Australia?

Post by Wai »

I've never seen straws for sale in Australia... but I heard someone (or even from this forum) that they have straws and is in Australia! I've never seen all the species, just the Aussies...
Wai
hyper.mum
Zygote
Zygote

Post by hyper.mum »

Hi,
Im from Melbourne, Australia and I have 2 Strawberry crabs named Brutis and Fanta. They cost an awful lot of money but I dont regret a cent. They are alot more high maintenance than the Aussies. The store I bought them from had only 4 of them (I could only afford 2 at the time) since then they have sold the others and cant get any more. They are trying to forbid them being sold in Australia for reasons Im not 100% sure of. When you think about how much you have to pay for them over here you really want to have the ultimate housing conditions and good/great experience as you wouldnt want them passing away on you. My Strawbs live in a 4ft tank with 10 small to medium Aussies, they have a large filtered salt water section and fully submerge and swim for up to 20 mins at a time. They make a huge mess of the crabitat every night and keep me busy cleaning and rearranging every day. But like I said I dont regret getting them at all.
Kellie :)
Come say G'Day at my BLOG: http://www.hyperdigimum.blogspot.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Ah... so it was you! Gee, I'm forgetful.

They're planning to ban straws to be kept as pets because they are close to being endanged. Well, not that serious, but the population has decreased over time. Which pet shop did you get the straws? They are indeed probably the most difficult species to keep as pets, and many people have reported that their new straw died in a few days or months. I've never seen one so I am keen on looking at one, but I won't be able to adopt one since my parents have banned me getting any more hermies.
Wai
hyper.mum
Zygote
Zygote

Post by hyper.mum »

I got my Strawberry's from an Aquarium in Frankston but havent seen them around since, Ive had them both since August and Fanta is down moulting as I type, he has been burrowed for 4 weeks this coming Friday. They are high maintenance but so are my other pets so the high maintenance doesnt worry me.
Kellie :)
Come say G'Day at my BLOG: http://www.hyperdigimum.blogspot.com
Hannah
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Hannah »

Wai, ar the straws in a category? If they are, are they Threatened or Vulnerable? Species endangerment goes from a certain level until they are extinct. It goes like this,
Okay
Vulnerable
Threaghtened
Endangered
Extinct
If any problems, PM or

email an Administrator or Moderator!!!
Our site: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com
This is my sister's story- http://pages.ivillage.com/luvne
If

my advice doesn't help, PM, IM, or email me at blondey42992@yahoo.com
Thanks!!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I think they're in the threatened category.
Wai
herm-ez
Zygote
Zygote

Post by herm-ez »

Where I am you can get them for cheap but they are kinda hard to find.

curtis ;)
Troppo
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Troppo »

The last Straw I saw for sale where I live was over 1 year ago. It would be great if they did sell them again,but only if pet-stores provided proper in-store care for them and proper care-sheets for their customers,so something like this doesn't happen again. :)
Edmund
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Edmund »

I've actually seen a lot of Petco stores carrying Strawberry Hermmies for around 12 dollars. I've read in books that they are illegal to be taken from their wild habitats in Australia as pets. Most Strawberry Hermmies are now imported from the Asian countries.
Troppo
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Troppo »

A few Australian crabbers have been reporting seeing Straws in pet-stores down in Brisbane and Melbourne now. I thought it was some kind of joke until the other week I went to a store nearby(north Queensland) and saw 5 straws in their crab tat.
My hubby ended up buying me one as a Valentine pressie last week.