Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 110
Total tanks: 3

New to Crabbing! Advice appreciated

Post by NewCrabLover »

Hello!

I live in Qld, Australia and wanting to start building a crabitat. We have a 95 galloon tank, and any advice regarding below would be appreciated:
- what size pools is too big? Would 2x 7 gallons be too much? I dont want to over-humidify them.
- what size heating mats would be recommended? Most I've found only go 50-80 gallons, would you all recommend 2 of these?
- everyone's favourite size crab? We want about 5+, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for your time! I would appreciate any guidance, double points if recommendations are around brisbane!
Love photos of similar size tanks too!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: New to Crabbing! Advice appreciated

Post by Wai »

Welcome! I’m from Victoria and your climate is quite different to ours. For a tank that big, I would use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) with a thermostat. I’m not sure how cold your winters get, but you may be able to get away with using a single 25 to 50 W CHE. If the CHE is on, it will typically reduce the humidity inside the tank. It is difficult to guess what will happen to your humidity based on the size of the water dishes alone, but I would guess they have minimal effect. Your climate and the CHE being on would have a greater impact. As for the dishes, balance the selection between the crabs being able climb out of the dishes without drowning and still submerge completely, but without it taking over the entire floor space of your tank.
Wai
NewCrabLover
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 110
Total tanks: 3

Re: New to Crabbing! Advice appreciated

Post by NewCrabLover »

Thanks Wai, I appreciate the help.