Mindibun
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 1

(pics) My 55gal Crabitat

Post by Mindibun »

Hello all! New here, but not new to crabbing. I have four that are somewhere between 7-9 years old and just adopted a few more from someone on craigslist. Unfortunately, 2 out of the 3 went down for a molt and didn't make it, but the third (a PP) is doing well and my old gang has accepted him/her. I also bought 3 Es from the pet store where I work. Two went down to molt - one of which passed away. The second had what appears to be a bad molt but is still hanging in there. Only time will tell. The third hasn't tried to bury or molt yet, but has become best friends with one of my PPs. The two are inseparable. It's very cute.

Anyway, because my crabs have gotten so large, I finally got around to doing something I've wanted to do for a LOOONG time -- I made them a fresh water pool with "waterfall"! I just used a ten gallon filter and a clear container so it's nothing fancy, but I'm hoping it will bump the humidity, which has rarely gone above 60% without daily misting in the past.

Substrate: 50/50 EcoEarth and sterile play sand
Temp: 78* daytime, 74* nighttime
Humidity: previously 50-60% Hopefully higher now!
Number of crabs: 7
Food provided: I'm a vegetarian so they get some of my dinner each night, plus some seafood-based hermit chow I order online from the crabbage patch. :)

Constructive criticism is always welcome. Nice to meet you all!
Sorry they're blurry - taken with cell phone. :/

The fresh water pool with filter:

Moss "hammocks" and shell shop:

Inside the moss hammock:

Two of the original gang getting in line for the water park (checking out the new pool!)
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57

Re: (pics) My 55gal Crabitat

Post by appps »

Welcome :-)

Pretty cool setup!
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

Your tank is AMAZING! I have always been inspired by tanks such as yours but have NEVER been able to replicate them however hard I try!
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Welcome to HCP! Your tank is quite enviable; it's got a lot of space that you've used really well! I've only got a 30g so I like seeing how people with bigger tanks use that space.

I love your waterfall. :)
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 32
Total tanks: 2

Post by StarJohn »

Welcome! What a beautiful set up!!
Mindibun
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 55

Post by Mindibun »

Thank you so much, guys. When you have the same crabs for 7-9 years (I sure wish I knew EXACTLY how long it's been) you get bored of things after a while and find ways to change or improve. Plus, you want to keep it interesting for them.

They started out in a 10gal tank and gradually moved up to the 55 after several tank upgrades. I *WANT* a 75gal or larger, but the hubby says I have to wait until we get a "real" house so we have more room, and honestly, he's right. (Don't tell him I said that!)

My crabs were small when I got them, but they sure grew! They're not classified as Jumbos yet, but they're on the cusp of it. One of them was adopted with NO EYES - he was completely blind! - but he has since grown them back (which is BEYOND AMAZING to me) and is fully-functional and has whatever the crab version of 20/20 vision is.

To update everyone on the humidity in the tank, it's jumped up from 50 percent to 83 percent and has stayed constant thus far! :D

I know the hermies are enjoying the pool because they have all decided it's a communal toilet. *rolls eyes* Their poops are all over the pool area. Good thing I have a fish siphon for exactly this reason! They also LOVE the mineral block I put in there. 1/3 of it is gone and I watched one crab sit on it, eating and sleeping, eating and sleeping, for an ENTIRE DAY!