Don't be fooled by some pet shops

Questions about designing a terrarium.
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 46

Re: Don't be fooled by some pet shops

Post by iluvhermies »

Did you say something to her about it? You could always make a list of the things you know they need and take it in and give it to her. I agree with you they should have a little knowledge on the animals they are selling at least the basics.
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Eddie*Maddie*London*Irwin*Miley*Oliver*Marianna*Dalton*
Chevin*Peeping Tom*April*Hannah*Peanut*Brandon*Brandi*
Autumn*Peyton*Zac*Corbin*Lilly*Rico*Queenie*Princess*Prince
Bruce*Cheese*Sharpay*Elmo*Chris
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Post by HermieLove19 »

Usually good pet shop owners know thier stuff, but the ones that are the best are the ones willing to take criticism, good or bad, and use it to help expand their knowledge. i find customers teach me things sometimes but ususally they don't know.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn
kinghermit crab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by kinghermit crab »

Its an outrage I went up to petsmart and they just had a buch of hermitcrabs and gravel nothing else >[ and even wurse up at petland they just had a small cage filled with a mllion shells i did not even know if there was a hermit crab that was alive in there (!) (!)
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 46

Post by iluvhermies »

Are you sure there were hermies in the tank? I have some shops here that they put their shells that are for sale in tanks so you can sort through them.
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Eddie*Maddie*London*Irwin*Miley*Oliver*Marianna*Dalton*
Chevin*Peeping Tom*April*Hannah*Peanut*Brandon*Brandi*
Autumn*Peyton*Zac*Corbin*Lilly*Rico*Queenie*Princess*Prince
Bruce*Cheese*Sharpay*Elmo*Chris
pattycake101
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 1

Post by pattycake101 »

My friend bought a hermit crab in florda on her vacation and she told me that the worker there said just to give it food and whater once a day and it would be fine! She got me two from there ( befor I new that you needed to hold it to see if it was agressive, oops.) and the containers were SO small!
Here are the measurements 6 in. long 5 1/2 in. tall and 3 in. wide! I couldn't sleep the night I got them, just thinking of them in such a small crabitat! I bought a ten gallon tank the next day. The sadest/happiest part was when I put them in the tank and they started to explore and ate and drank as much as they could. The happy part about that was that they where happy. But the sad part is the fact that the probly never got to run around in such a big space. I just wish that I could get all the hermit crabs that are sold in shops and give them better home than people whom get them and they die the next month because they couldn't take care of a living breathing creacher God has created.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Well when I bought Xavi and Zoidberg, they were in a open glass container with a huge sponge and no shells. Thats it.

Here in Winnipeg, The Petland at Crossroads St. Boniface to be exact, is pretty good. Plenty of shells to choose from, no commercial food, plenty of plants and hideaways, lots of climbing toys that looks really natural. Fresh and salt water, heat lamp, deep Eco Earth substrate, good stuff. The only thing that sucks about it is that is says this.

HERMIT CRABS
Day time temperture: 25 - 30 C
Night time temperature: 24 - 28 C

Feeding: Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, Plain Meats and Occaisonal Dairy.
Food schedule: Should be avalible at all times

Water: Dechlorinated fresh and Dechlorinated salt. Water sohuld be deep enough to submerge the crabs for bathing.

Humidity: 50 - 55%

GRR!!!!!! Humidity is life or death for hermies :(

Its weird tho, cause in the tank it looked really wet, and there were sponges and damp EE. A typo perhaps? :S

Whatever...Petland Winnipeg, not bad :D
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

imabadspeler
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4

Post by imabadspeler »

I actually went into a wave store (a gift shope) and picked up one of the one page guides they had about the crabs and it talked about both fresh and salt water, and you had to have sand has a substrate, a list of proper fresh foods that are okay for hermits ect. Then when i asked for help for the hermits i bought 3 small ones and i asked for a small container for them (smallest kk, i needed an extra small one for fish) they didn't put sand in the bottom they asked me what color pebbles i wanted, didn't advise me on anything the care sheet said about them.
Krabber5544
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Post by Krabber5544 »

Same here. I went to my local petshop, which takes great care of all of the pets except hermit crabs. They're in a small tank with no places to hide and only one extra shell. I asked the clerk (who is my dad's friend) and she said you don't need a ten gallon tank, a thermometer, toys, or any extra shells. She said all they need is food and water. When I walked out of there with my new hermit crab (Which is doing fine now) I was ready to explode. How could anyone treat Hermies that way? I never made a big deal out of hermit crabs either, but once I owned one and began to learn more about them, they were immediately my favorite pets. I have three happy hermit crabs, all in a ten-gallon tank and a thermometer, plenty of shells, climbing areas, and cool spots. Not to brag, but I think I'm doing a mighty fine job.
*Krabber*Kradabra*Krabble*

Proud and happy owner of hermies,
Krabber5544
beledi
Zygote
Zygote

Post by beledi »

HermieLove19 wrote:Ive found that many people don't know crabs need to moult.

I work at a pet store and a man came in and bought a bag of gravel. He said it was for hermit crabs and right away i said i can't let you buy this they need sand. I had a 20 minute conversation with him about the poor little crab being kept in a critter keeper with gravel and tons of water. He said it would just die soon anyway and walked out with the gravel. i was so upset.

what upset me more is the little kids Teacher told him it should be in gravel and water because she keeps them in the classroom. If youre using hermies as a teaching tool you should know all about them. you cant teach children about moulting, exoskeletons, and crustaceans without knowing how they live! It was so sad.

whats even worse is people do the exact same things with dogs and cats. they give puppies rawhide and wonder why they needed to rush them to the emergency room. some people really need to read up on the animal they buy/adopt before they take on the responsibility.
I understand how you feel. The sad thing is pet stores sell products and do not always care about anything but the bottom line. I work for a petstore and do not advocate rawhide and certain other products. My boss knows this and is o.k. with it. All we can do is educate and hope people will listen. I once worked for a vet who does not advocate rawhide, but sells CET chews to clean pets teeth...Duh
Im so glad i can come here and tell you all about this and you understand! i love this site!
crabcrazygal
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

Post by crabcrazygal »

ive been to a few horrible pet stores. but the one that eas the worst, relocated and is now 100% better :D
crabs:bino, junior,kim, and vixen
dogs: ella, shannon
cats:milo, poppy
and two budgies: romeo and big bird
Rip: HOMER(who was actually a girl so i re named him marge)RIP kath hyper and hazel.
only boring people get bored :)