Rmax
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

creating a waterfall

Post by Rmax »

I don't have crabs yet (I've had them in the past) but I'm researching first. I have about $300 saved up (I know I'll probably need more) because I want to do the thing right this time!

Creating pools
I would really like to make a pool by siliconing in a strip of plexiglass, and using a pump to create a waterfall effect (I’ve done something similar in a paludarium before, in which I kept anoles and platies) I would, of course, include a ramp that the crabs can use for easy entrance and exit. I would also include a saltwater pool, of course, but this would likely be a smaller dish-style. I’m not sure what would look best, but I’m thinking of putting it on the side opposite the UTH (if I end up using one.) Any suggestions? Would something like this create too much humidity?
Once and future crabber
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: creating a waterfall

Post by emmac350 »

You'll just have to calibrate your humidity yourself...there's no way for anyone to know if it would be too much humidity. What you could do before making the pool is to just try using a pump to make bubble pools in your water bowls. Your bowls will need to be a bit deeper (I use pyrex custard bowls for mine and it works pretty well), but it will give you quite a humidity boost. If your humidity is too high, you can turn off the pump or just find a way to prop your lid up so you have more airflow into and out of the tank.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Rmax
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by Rmax »

emmac350 wrote: (I use pyrex custard bowls for mine and it works pretty well), but it will give you quite a humidity boost.
That sounds like a somewhat simpler way to do it. What method do you use to allow the crabs to climb in and out of the bowls easily?
Once and future crabber
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

They climb out on the airstone and air tubing assembly. It goes from the top of the tank (under the hood) to the water bowls, and some prefer to climb up to the upper level and some just use it as a boost out of the bowl itself back onto the main floor.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Are waterfalls a good Idea?

Post by ZuZu »

I was just wondering becuase I saw one at the pet store the other day. Ive heard of people using them but still. what do you think?
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 65

Re: Are waterfalls a good Idea?

Post by blondy627 »

I would also be interested in this answer. I have been playing with the idea for about a week... I at least want to get a nice big pond and put a bubbler in it. My fiance thinks I'm getting to obsessed. haha XD

I think some fountains have filters, so I'm wondering if the carbon of a filter is safe?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I believe a water fall in a 10 gal tank would be too crowded, a larger tank maybe in order.

(edited, please read previous posts too, and there is more info if "Waterfall" is typed in the search bar in the upper right corner of the page)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

You can also create your own "bubbler" pool and not have to pay the premium price of a pre-made one. just pick up a cheap air pump ($10-20), some tubing (a couple of dollars) and some air stones ($1-$2) and place the air stone in a large water pond for your crabs. I use river pebbles (uncoated) for my crabs to be able to exit the bowl easily.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 65

Waterfall... Too scary?

Post by blondy627 »

I'm wondering if anybody has something like this for their crabs. The reviews say that there is a low hum to it and I'm assuming a vibration. I don't know if that would be traumatizing for a crab. Wouldn't want them to feel like they're being shaken from their shell! (!)

http://www.petco.com/product/105903/Zoo ... es_ShopAll
abegie
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 16

Re: Waterfall... Too scary?

Post by abegie »

That looks awesome! I need to get myself a bigger habitat so I can get one of those! As to your question I bet at first your crabs would be nervous, but as curious as they are i think in no time they would be checking it out and drinking from it.
Owned by Wyatt, Virgil, James, Morgan, Bat, and Ed