CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Rain water

Post by CrabbyJo »

If you are using tap water, using a dechlorinator that neutralizes heavy metals will be okay. if there is fluoride in your water though, you might want to consider using the distilled water instead. Fluoride has been shown to cause harm - I am not remembering the details exactly right now. Just better to avoid it if possible as there is no way to remove it, other than possibly reverse osmosis, as this is one of the claims made when they hype the units for home use.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Jadexox on August 26th, 2010, 4:24 am
so will boiling and a declorinizer that gets rid of metals and stuff be ok
No, please read the link I provided in my previous post. A dechlorinator will not remove all the possible chemicals that maybe in the rain water or other impurities.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100
Total tanks: 1

Post by Jadexox »

hermit crabs in the wild drink from puddles of rain water
AND I DID READ THE LINK
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Yes they do, but hermies live along the shore of the ocean and inland a bit from the ocean. Majority of their 'rain' comes from the direction of the ocean! Major difference there! Last I heard there were no factories or chemical plants in the middle or out a bit from the shore of the ocean (?)
Edited to add: No reason to yell at the end of your post.
by Jadexox on August 27th, 2010, 7:13 pm
hermit crabs in the wild drink from puddles of rain water
AND I DID READ THE LINK
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100

Post by Jadexox »

technecly its not yelling lol
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Post by Gizaroo »

Anything you type in all capital letters is taken as yelling whether you mean it to be or not. ;)
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

technecly its not yelling lol
Gizaroo2 is correct, technically on the internet typing all caps or even a word in caps is considered yelling on the internet.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

jacevy
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 0

Rain water?

Post by jacevy »

Can I use rain water that has been collected in a plastic dish?
I know if rain water touches metal it isn't great but where I live we get so much rain that it seems a perfect supply of fresh water for them.

On a side note I have been collecting sea water for their salt water...... I assume this is ok?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Rain water?

Post by Wai »

It depends on how polluted your area is. Rainwater and seawater would be fine as long as they didn't contain any pollutants in them. Hermit crabs in the wild might be able to tolerate trace amounts of pollutants since they can drink from a different source if they wanted to, but in captivity, what we give them is all they get. If they drank polluted water long term, then it may cause problems years later. Also, if you use rainwater and seawater, you'll constantly introduce micro-organisms in the tank, some which may be pathogenic to you or your hermit crabs.

I think it would be safer to use something like bottled or distilled water. I use bottled water, with Red Sea Salt added to mix the salt water. I can buy 9 L of bottled water for about $4.15 AUD at Aldi and that's enough to last at least six months, thanks to the filters so I don't have to constantly change out the water.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

On page 1 of this thread there is more info too about using rain water. Since the post was created though, there has been radiation noted in the sea/ocean water as well as some area's drinking water. May want to reconsider using rain water with the recent tsunami that struck Japan's coast.

Post was merged with existing topic to help others when using the search engine.
Edited to add: Traces have been noted on U.S. upper east coast as well as the western coast.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)