autumnfalls
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 50
Total tanks: 2

Cooking Water?

Post by autumnfalls »

I've been giving my crabbies some cooked veggies lately and I was wondering if the water I boil the veggies in needs to be treated, or if tap water will be fine.
Long haired Crab Enthusiast!
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Re: Cooking Water?

Post by ZuZu »

well I have heard that boiling water gets rid of clorine so what I do is boil the water then put in the stuff for the crabs and let it boil a bi longer until the food is ready :D
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Boiling does nothing for the chloramine or the heavy metals in tap water so it should be treated to cook or even steam hermies food. (unless one uses distilled/pure bottle water)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 0

Post by Mim »

Im so lucky that I have plenty of rain water...
I keep a bucket outside, Jar & freeze it for "dry times" (Jars are sanitized in boiling rain water... Yes... we get that much rain...LOL)
I also do the same with salt water as I live close to the beach...
(I do live close to the beach too)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Rain water closer to the ocean/sea normally has a higher salinity level than fresh water that is normally further inland.
One should also consider a few factors if they collect rain water too, and how they collect it.
http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Rain+water

There could be other contaminants/impurities within it.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 0

Post by Mim »

We are around half hour inland.. We do go to the beach each weekend so I get the water while there... I have had the rain water tested & all seems fine..
CrabHappy9092
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 2

Rain Water?

Post by CrabHappy9092 »

I use rain water from our water tank and put that is their fresh water bowl and salt water bowl with hermit crab salt in it. I read your information on water and it said things about distilled water, tap water, dechlorinated water etc. but nothing about rain water. I was just curious if it was okay to put in my terranuim.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Rain Water?

Post by Wai »

The rain water may be contaminated. I'm sure you wouldn't drink straight out of the rain water tank. Wouldn't it be easier just to give them dechlorinated tap water or from the bottle? It has been raining a lot and I know you would like to save money, but I just feel a bit uneasy about giving them rain water, especially if it has contacted metal or other potentially harmful substances along the way. The rain water may have pollutants from the air dissolved in it too.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I have merged the rain water subject with an existing post containing information about rain water. Above I included a link about using rain water and how it can be contaminated with other impurities. Some of the impurities cannot be removed with a dechlorinator either.
I see you mention hermie salt? Hermie salt isn't good for them and actually a waste of money. It does not contain what the hermies need to remain healthy. (please see the water section under the Crab Care area)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

As I understand it there are filter systems used for collecting rain water. This is very important, as you would not want to drink or use water that has not been filtered, even rain water. There is a lot of dust, pollen and other contaminants that can build up if there is no filter system in place.

If you have a filter system, find out exactly what it filters out, to determine if it's safe for your hermies. What might be "okay" for you can be potentially deadly for your hermies.

And what's "okay" for you doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy! :)

If in doubt, pick up some cheap distilled water, and make sure you have a good ocean sea salt mix to supplement what is missing from the distilled water.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.