FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Not interested in the water?

Post by FreeCrabby »

I always see one or two of my new hermies in the food plate but never in the water? I use tap or bottled water always with API water conditioner... is that normal to not see them in the water? I have seen them a couple rare times since I have had them on the water edge putting their legs/feelers in the water? :S
Jennie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 18
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 3

Re: Not interested in the water?

Post by Jennie »

for some reason I never use to see mine in the water either, but now they are in there all the time and even go swimming. They are strange little things, I think they think anything knew is very suspect and treat it with extreme caution for ages before relaxing. Maybe it is some instinct to save against being eater by a fish :S
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

lol okay thanks Jennie! That helps me relax a bit about it! :)
Jennie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 18
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 3

Post by Jennie »

gosh, just read my post again, sorry for all the typos! I type too fast sometimes and I am not very good at it! :D too add to the above when I got my new fountain I was SO excited, I set it up and then sat back to watch, they completely avoided it like the plague :( it wasn't until at least a week later I finally saw one on it. I have no idea what they were drinking until then! Now they are climbing it every night, they like to climb up it to the top then climb the electric cables to the top of the tank and then go for a upside down walk across the underneath of the tank and then back down the cables again.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I don't see mine in the water much either... at least I can be assured they won't kill themselves by gorging on salt water. On very rare occasions I see mine fully submerge themselves.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I only know mine have been in the water because I find sand in it! I seem to be finding MORE sand in the ocean salt water dish lately, and I'm suspecting I've got a mass molt starting up again.
It seems like they do just drink out of the fresh water dish, but will climb right into the ocean salt water dish.

Are you noticing anyone in the salt water dish FreeCrabby?
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

lol Jennie its okay I didnt notice! I am the same! They sound so funny - what they do. Mine are chirping away every now and again. One was under the food bowl chirping and I wasnt sure if I should rescue it or leave it - I left them and an hour later they were out from under it!!

A few of the little ones that I hardly havent seen much are more out and about today which is great to see! I watched another one change shells last night! I do need more shells - have ordered from ebay and going to shops today or tommorow to get some more for the smaller ones.

True Wai re salt water! lol :)

CrabbyJo not really. I have seen only a couple on the edge of the bowl poking their feet/legs into it. One did fall in and was desperate to escape as soon as he could. I watched him - didnt help. To make sure he could in case he did again! He didnt like it at all!

And talk about them being climbers! They have learnt to climb a plastic plant I have in there to get on top of a plastic cave I have in there that they shouldnt yet be getting on top of!!
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Mine seem to like the salt water and go right in most days but I've not seen them ever do more than what you described with the fresh.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com