lolomo12
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 50
Total tanks: 1

Mixing Salt?

Post by lolomo12 »

How can I mix sea salt, my friend gave me a bucket of it from his salt water aquarium, but it dosent have instructions my friend told me that he just pour half of it in a 20 gallon tank pls help
This is the first time I will put salt water in the tank
ImageImage

2 Purple Pincher, 1 Cavs, 2 ruggies (NEW)
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Re: Mixing Salt?

Post by D'sCrabs »

Most salts have the directions on the box if you can find out the brand name you may be able to go to their website and get directions there. I know the brand I use (Instant Ocean) has the directions on the box and on their website..

Other than that Im sure there is a way to test salinity and a certain percentage, ratio , something, but I know nothing of that maybe one of the sites more exsperienced crabbers can assist with something like that..
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

You'd need a hydrometer to measure the gravity (salt ratio) of the water.
Find out from your friend what brand it is. My experience is that the salts like Instant Ocean are 1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon of water. I mix 1/4 Cup salt to 1/2 gallon of water and use that to refill my crab's salt water dish.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Post by Purple pinchers »

Well if you find out what brand it is here is a website that tells how much to use with most salts.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... water.html
*Pack Rat*
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

The link to HCAssociation is outdated. It has directions for Doc Wellfish which is no longer sold, and was bought out by API. This is a fresh water salt and should not be used, as well as the ZooMed Part 2 salt they have listed.
There is an updated link with mixes that are specifically salt water fish tanks (which is what hermies require to remain healthy)

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... storyid=20
Please do as CrabbyJo has asked, find out what the brand name is of the sea/ocean salt your friend gave you.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Post by Purple pinchers »

WOW never saw it was out dated :O

I used that webpage to find out how much Instant Ocean to use :O hope thats not out dated too
*Pack Rat*
lolomo12
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 50

Post by lolomo12 »

The brand is Bio-mix he said the product is local and he asks his friend to measure it but he dosent know how to mix it he only call his friend but it's ok I already measured it
ImageImage

2 Purple Pincher, 1 Cavs, 2 ruggies (NEW)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

The API salt mix consists of pure sodium chloride, which is harmless to hermit crabs, but it won't do them much good in the long run due to the lack of other trace elements found in natural sea water.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai, maybe it is me but the hyperlink you have above only leads to a white page with a black and blue loading bar? I did an upgrade to firefox yesterday so possibly there is a hang with uploading the pdf for viewing?
Is anybody else able to view the hyperlink regarding API?

Edited to add: I'm back, seems for some whatever reason the hyperlink caused firefox to crash? Prior to that I got a "Adobe Acrobat/Reader (103:103)" (?) Gonna go research it now?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Strange...after all that I clicked the hyperlink and it worked?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)