Phil
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

API salt in substrate

Post by Phil »

I just got a 30 gallon tank and set it up. A couple months ago I got the API aquarium salt and then shortly after discovered that it's not good. I figured it was because it lacked minerals and such so to keep from wasting it I used it to soak the Eco Earth brick.I got the tank going and put in two new crabs, who of course immediately buried themselves. Then I read an article that claims​ API salt contains Epsom salt which is used to euthanize crustaceans. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Maybe I'm being super paranoid but I'm terrified I dropped them in a death pit. I don't want to dig them up, but maybe I have to? If anyone has any suggestions, it's much appreciated.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: API salt in substrate

Post by Wai »

Hi Phil, if you just used it to soak the Eco Earth, to be honest I don't think it will be much of an issue. I would guess it is quite unlikely to cause any harm. The key issue is using a good quality salt water mix for their salt water pond for drinking and bathing, such as those designed for tropical fish like the Red Sea and Instant Ocean brands.
Wai