Rabeka82
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Salt water evaporating or getting consumed

Post by Rabeka82 »

I got the 10gal tank with the zoo med hermit crab kit in sept for my classroom. I got three small hermit crabs ( I am going to get a bigger tank asap) I've been learning that there is a lot more needed than the kit and that virtually nothing that is sold for hermit crabs is good for them. I got two bowls that have built-in stairs one for fresh water one for salt. They are able to fully submerge in these bowls. They are right next to each other. I change the waters every two days. I've been noticing that the salt water is completely gone while the fresh water is still full. A couple times I've noticed 2 different hermies sitting in the empty salt water bowl. The first time I slowly poured salt water in. The crab got right out. I never see the crabs submerge themselves. Do you think they are Drinking the salt water? I thought it was evaporating. I'm wondering if they are eating salt off the empty bowl. Is it ok to fill the bowl while the crab is in in or should I move him first next time? Also, I have been using bottles hermit crab salt water after reading through the threads i. You g to get the salt water fish tank mixes instead.
StellaCrab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 125
Total tanks: 2

Re: Salt water evaporating or getting consumed

Post by StellaCrab »

What are these bowls made of? They could be leaking, and that wouldn't be a good thing as it may cause your substrate to flood, which leads to a bacterial bloom. I don't think a crab can drink all the water, they take very small mouthfuls of water as they need it. My crabs don't submerge much either, but they know how to use the water when they need to, they may also drink during the night.

I am glad you are doing good research, that's great! :)
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Salt water evaporating or getting consumed

Post by aussieJJDude »

Is the bowl close to the heating source? If so, likely its evaporating due to the heat - which is a pretty good thing, and increases humidity.

As for removing the crab prior to refilling it, personal choice. I'm rather hands off - and lazy mostly, tbh - so I would leave the crab and let them figure it out for themselves... But I do know others may/would suggest removing the crab prior, which is also fine IMO. Do what you feel is best in this situation.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.